Author Topic: Rawhide backed board ?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Craig/Fl

Rawhide backed board ?
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:07 am »
Can a osage board be backed with rawhide, I was going to use hickory as I usually use that or boo but after some research I've found rawhide is more appropriate for the project I'm going to attempt. Thanks, Craig

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Rawhide backed board ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:41:20 am »
No reason that You can not use Rawhide...just make sure that you degrease the Osage good with Alcohol or Acetone first...let it dry...and apply the Rawhide as usual....no Biggie
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 12:31:59 pm »
...and know that you won't get any performance from a rawhide backing like with boo or hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:46:24 pm »
Thanks El Destucto, I couldn't think of any reasons why not but I can't recall hearing of anyone doing it before on a osage board, perhaps for the reasons Pat B mentioned about performance loss, I hadn't thought of that. Pat B would it be a significant loss?
One other thing I forgot to mention the bow with be a short 60", any problem there with the rawhide there? Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:59:44 pm »
Craig, Rawhide like linen, silk, brown grocery bag paper, burlap, etc are used as insurance against splinters lifting on the back of the bow. None of these things add to the performance of a bow. Boo, hickory and other wood backings as well as sinew backing do(or at least should) add to the performance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 03:31:47 pm »
If You want to mate it with a Piece of Hickory or Bamboo...go for it....since this is a Board already ....with a Flat Back....I would go with the Boo...But as far as Rawhide being the same as a Paper Sack or Burlap....I would have to disagree...Rawhide is a lot tougher than them...but it will still not give you the piece of mind that a good Boo backing would...and like Pat stated...it will not add any performance to the Bow at all...it adds weight...which in turn can or will slow the Bow down....but to what degree...I could not tell you....if this was a Stave Bow...I would push Rawhide....but since this is a Board...Boo would be my first choice...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wodpow

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 03:56:44 pm »
Raw hide won't hold a bad section in the wood grain together as good as a wood or bamboo backing I have had bows that had fractures in the wood under the rawhide not splinters just fractures that were moving when drawn but haven;t broke yet  but they still got the rawhide to krinkle a very small hair line up on the back and will one day make the hide let go on that shearing pulling area but I don't  when