Author Topic: New bow - hophornbeam Sarnate flatbow  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Dane

New bow - hophornbeam Sarnate flatbow
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »
I wasn't going to post this yet, as the finish work still has to be done, but Half Eye inspired me to get this up.

This is a bow inspired by the Sarnate neolithic bow found in Eastern Europe in the 1950s. I saw this design on Paeloplanet sometime back, and was facinated by it. The most interesting design feature is the cutout on the handle for, presumably, one or more fingers as you grip the bow.

This is the shortest bow I have made to date, and came in at 60.50" tip to tip, 59.50 nock to nock. It is made from hopehornbeam harvested in Western Massachusetts. It is 2" wide at the handle, and stays 2" until it tapers to 1" width the last 12 inches of each limb. The handle is non bending, and is 3" long, and the fades are short, 1.5" each.

It was fun and not too hard to make. I decided to stop messing with the tiller finally, and think that it could be better. I heat treated the belly lightly with a heat gun, and it came in at about 48# at 27" draw. I did lift one splinter, and thought for a while it was doomed, but the rawhide patch seems to be holding enough that the bow seems fine after 70 or 80 shots. The set is about .75" at one tip, and about .25" at the other. I decided the patched limb was the upper one because of the cutout in the handle. It actually makes it an easy bow to hold, and there is, very surprisingly, virtually no hand shock. I thought for sure with those heavy limbs it would be jarring, but the bow is docile and fun to shoot.

Coloring - I used red ochre mixed with egg white for the carrier. I just brushed it on, then buffed it with a paper towl. I put a single coat of True Oil on the back of the bow, and plan to do some very light sanding and then finish the entire bow with True Oil.

I will make some more bows of this design, see if I can get a better tiller and maybe a bit heavier bow. Maybe hhb again, maybe a different type of wood.

The bow is NOT for BOM. It isn't finished, and I dont think worthy of that contest. Maybe another of the same design, but this is as much an experiment as anything.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

Re: New bow - hophornbeam Sarnate flatbow
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:17:00 pm »
A few more shots. Thanks for looking.

Dane

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:19:48 pm »
Nice replication. I wouldn't guess that was that short from the drawn profile.

Dave

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »
Thanks, Dave. It was handy tossing it in the back seat of the car at that lenght. :)

Dane

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 04:28:18 pm »
    The tiller on that bow looks good to me. If I tried to make them any more perfect than that I would ruin every bow I worked on LOL> Steve

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »
Steve, thanks. I do manage to ruin my share :) I keep saying I learned something, I  learned something. When I heard that "tick!" last night when I was doing final tillering check, I thought I had just gone through another lesson.

Dane

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:01 pm »
It certainly looks like BOM material to me. Very nice weapon - Please reconsider >:(!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:41:07 pm »
For you OldBow, okay. I just wont take it personal when a certain amazing bow I dont have to mention wins. :)

Dane

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:46:45 pm »
Dane I would have to agree with Oldbow, Don't cut yourself short. That is a very nice bow and is rare as replica as well. The back is really neat with the groves and your stain job looks great. Congratulations.

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 04:57:11 pm »
Just being able to shoot this bow and have it all come together is the real reward. Thanks, Keenan.

Attached is the archeologist's drawing of the bow, which was fragmetary but nearly complete.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54:06 pm »
BTW, two of these bows were found, both with the little "finger rest" or whatever they may be called, so it wasn't an accident that the bows were actually designed this way. The second bow was slightly shorter, and didn't have the lozenged shaped limb profile, but was more a normal limb design, which is what I went with. The next one, I will play around with that idea, but keep it close to the original specs, as I did with this one. The guy on paleoplanet reported that the orginals were made of ash. I have zero ash staves, though.

Dane

half eye

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:39 pm »
Hells bells Dane....that bow is great...ya kind of find out them really old guys wasn't half as dumb as they looked ::) That my friend is a very fine piece of work....it looks to me like it out to shoot real quiet and I'll bet that finger grove makes it really stable as well.....very nice sir!!!!
half eye ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:14 pm »
Very nice bow, Dane. I love the textured back; typical of HHB and hickory. Interesting design too! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 06:35:30 pm »
Dane, Your bow exemplifies what "Primitive Archer" is all about.  Very nice work!

Rich

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »
There seems to be a plethora of unique bows lately, I love it :) Thanks for sharing this
dane I've never seen one like it before, and nothing wrong with the tiller either.
Looks like Davenport also approves so it must be a keeper ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:08:03 pm by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI