Author Topic: Thoughts on bannerstones and other objects with holes drilled through them.  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

I was looking at some flint knapping videos on youtube and heard a guy talking about the mass of a hammerstone or bopper and how it relates to purcussion work. He said something along the lines of needing good mass to peel off flakes without having to take a big swing. I live in eastern N.C. and have not found any native rock with the qualaties that would make a good purcussion hammerstone. This got me to thinking as to the possability of bannerstones and such being used to increase the mass of antler batons for purcussion flaking. Just a thought. I'm new to this, so please don't laugh too hard, on the other hand maybe you should.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
I would doubt very seriously if that were the case. Antler billets don't really need added weight, if you don't have a lot of mass, you can make up for it with billet speed. I do a lot of knapping with small whitetail antler billets. Also, I think a lot of the aboriginal knapping of NC materials was done with hammerstones and wooden billets, both of which have plenty of mass. Plus, the shape and form of a bannerstone doesn't lend itself to attachment to an antler billet. I'm not even convinced that they were atlatl weights. If you can find a diabase dike (there are a lot of them in eastern NC), the diabase makes good hammerstones, as does sandstone.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
The best evidence against this would be the size of the hole in the bannerstone. Too small to attatch to an antler. I think they were used as flywheels on dropspindles. 
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Bone pile

Jamie wrote
The best evidence against this would be the size of the hole in the bannerstone. Too small to attatch to an antler. I think they were used as flywheels on dropspindles. 

I just made the same remark in the Atal section,I wish I could remember were the article was that I read on this subject .
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline stickbender

Hillbilly, supposedly there was a lot of controversy over Bannerstones, till an intact Atlatl baton was found with a banner stone attached, in Alabama.  Most of the pictures of Banner stones, that I have seen were butterfly shaped, with no holes.  They were tied on with the wrapping going around in a figure eight, in the space between the "wings",and then tied off with wraps around the atlatl baton.

Wayne

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
wayne they were probably used for a multitude of things. was even thinking as the atlatl as a weapon without the dart. hit somebody with it and itll hurt and maim. now tie a rock to it and its even more dangerous.

bonepile go to thunderbird atlatl. bob berg has some great info on atlatls. he has an article on bannerstones on the site
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct