Author Topic: first squirrels hit!!  (Read 7799 times)

primitivehunter2

first squirrels hit!!
« on: January 17, 2010, 01:23:56 am »
hey im 13 years old and make my own arrows with blunts for small game hunting. i use a 55# recurve bow at 28 inches (but i only pull about 26-27inches). i just made my first batch of cane arrows with "nutters" for blunts and i went hunting with them.. i came sooo close to getting two squirrel with my recurve bow and i made some nice hits on the squirrels but they just kept on going as if nothing happened!! on the first squirrel i shot, i heard a loud "slap" from my arrow making contact with the squirrel but the squirrel just kept on running.. when i found my arrow i noticed that there was fur sticking to the blunt but no blood to be found. this was the same case with the second squirrel i had shot. i dont know why they didnt work but i think im gonna buy blunts for cleaner and more humane kills.

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: first squirrels hit!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:36:46 am »
Outstanding,  you  have  to  be a  true ace  shot to  plug  a squirrel:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:43:39 am »
are yo able to see where you are hitting them?
your not just getting tail are you?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:33:31 am »
I've heard many people report this problem. They've gone to using broadheads. Some report success with Ace Hex Heads. But many are using broadheads.
Living a dream...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:46:14 am »
A nutter is the deadliest head I have used on small game. Good shock with just enough penetration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

primitivehunter2

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:30 am »
re: sailordad: on the second squirrel.. i hit it in the stomach/hip area so it wasnt the best shot. i didnt see where i hit the first squirrel so i might have just got the tail like you said 

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:45:57 am »
I'm in the broadhead camp.  I have hit too many squirrels also just to see them shake the hit off and keep running. 

I use the broadheads I intend to you for deer and it is great practice!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:30:37 pm »
Wow, I have shot about 10 times at squirrels this year without a hit! Good shooting! Obviously I can't give much advice on your arrows, due to lack of experience, but the others here know what they're talking about. I am using nutters and some glue on hammers from three rivers. I hope one day to see them work. Happy hunting.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 03:54:16 pm »
YEah dude, screw blunts for squirrels.  I've shot them in the chest at 12 feet away, and had them wake up and run off.  I've shot 4 squirrels with blunts and never killed a single one.  As soon as I started using stone points my kill percentage soared to almost 100%.  I will NEVER use blunts on small game again.  They only would them and I've never had luck with blunts.  They SUCK as far as I'm concerned. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:31:51 pm »
Another vote for something that pokes.  It doesn't have to be a broadhead, but broadheads are okay.  A field point with something behind it or a screw or something that will penetrate is important for squirrels.  They are one of my favorites critters to hunt, but they are TOUGH!!!  I wouldn't recommend a blunt of any sort.  They are fine of rabbits, doves, softer critters like that, but not so great for squirrel.  Maybe if you got them right between you and a tree so they took the full force of the hit, but that's rare.  They are awfully quick to jump and make a glancing blow too.  Eons of dodging hawks and owls and other things that fly I guess.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:41:29 pm »
 Yea, I've knocked them out of trees with 38 blunts just to watch them run back up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

primitivehunter2

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:20 pm »
thanks for the answers... yeah, squirrels are too hard to hit to have my blunts just fail when they do hit the squirrels. i think i better bring out the broadheads!! hahah

Offline Postman

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:07:21 pm »
I hit 2 this year with tarantula heads (in how to's, posted by Manny) one hit in neck died instanly, and I was impressed by the damage.  One hit in abdomed spun like a helicopter and ran off. Rabbit hit by tarantula died floppin' like a madman. Gonna get me a bunch of secondhand Bear greenies  >:D for treerats next year.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »
Better luck next time. but well done on being primitve so young, i got started at your age and im 18 still loving it. well done bud
Modern Day Tramp

primitivehunter2

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »
huntertraper: thank you very much for the kind words.. i hope to become as great as primitive archer's as all of you guys when i get older. i learn A LOT from all of you when it comes to primitive archery thanks