Author Topic: HELP !!!! - Tru Oil on My New Ipe WON'T DRY !!!???  (Read 16141 times)

Offline barebo

HELP !!!! - Tru Oil on My New Ipe WON'T DRY !!!???
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:21:02 am »
Not sure what the greater evil was here.... using the last of the bottle of Tru Oil after I broke the film, or not preparing the Ipe better ??? I just finished my Ash backed Ipe, and couldn't wait to get some pics up, but wanted to get a finish on it before doing the handle wrap, etc. The Ash seems to have dried pretty well, but the Ipe is still very tacky. My question is this: if I just leave it alone, will it eventually harden / cure ??  The bow came out really nice for my first attempt with Ipe, especially since I made the Ash backing from the back of a stave, and it is really irregular, having 2 to 3 rings making it less than uniform along it's length. It made for some challenging tiller!! SO...........what should I do about the "sticky" Tru Oil ???

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: HELP !!!! - Tru Oil on My New Ipe WON'T DRY !!!???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:24:00 am »
Ive had them stay sticky for a week or better.. Try and put it in a warm place with air movement.. not hot!! just warm..

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:05:49 am »
you can wait for it to dry, which may be a while(ipe is very oily), or wipe off the tru oil with acetone and start over.  on oily woods i use superglue first.  two tubes of the cheap dollar for a pack of 4 kind will do one coat on a whole bow.  once dry rub it wilth steel wool and then use your tru oil.  to apply the super glue i put a plastic baggie over my finger and just rub it on.  And don't blow on it to help it dry, moisture from your breath will turn it cloudy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:09:42 am by sulphur »

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:04 am »
on some cherry it was tacky for a while for me too. I let it dry for 12 hours stood up against a table inside and it was fine after that. Im guessing and i would put money on the fact that cold has something to do with this. so yes, i think it will eventually harden and cure, but keep it some where warm.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:16 am »
also Deft laquer will dry on just about anything although its not as tough.  you can put tru oil or spar urethane over that to.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:11:13 am »
There are very few things that will stick to ipe. It's like trying to put a finish on a teflon frying pan.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline barebo

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:17:20 am »
Doesn't the super glue have a tendency to stiffen thins up a bit, or is it basically a primer ?? If the Tru Oil will harden, I can be patient and let it sit for a week or so. Killer is, that there's no runs or sags - and the Ash back is fine. Being my first time with Ipe, I guess it's a learning curve. I've got Ipe for 5 more bows, and hopefully will make each one a bit better ??!! Strange but beautiful wood.
I just roughed out a White Ash Flatbow, and have some Hard Maple split, so I can feed the addiction waiting for the finish to cure.
I'll put it in front of my pellet stove for a few days - that's where I kind of "speed up" drying staves. Works well.
Thanks for the input - much appreciated as always !!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:21:54 am »
its  true its not the most flexible  thats why i cover it with Spar Urethane.  No problems with cracking yet.  Although the 2 bows i have used it on are long and not shot in a bunch.  This is a technique i use on oily wood risers on bows made from "modern materials"  (shhh, don't tell anyone) ::)

Offline barebo

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:41 am »
This one is long too - 70" NTN, and draws high 60#'s at about 27". I NEED it to DRY so I can get some pics up !!!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:32:32 am »
Remove the existing finish with acetone and then apply a base coat of either superglue or shellac. After that, you can apply any finish you want.
Gordon

Far East Archer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:46 pm »
Agree ^

Shellac dries in 30 seconds or faster when I use on ipe.
After I can sand and put on other finish no problem.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 01:15:38 pm »
This thread is proof that I would rather be lucky than good. I don't give my ipe any special treatment, and have never had a problem with a finish. I wonder if the super dry climate helps. Try putting your Ipe in a hot box and getting it warm then applying the finish. Warm wood helps when applying most any finish or stain.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 02:07:52 pm »
on  mine I used true oil for the finish but i also wiped it down with acetone 3 times beforehand.  I did a knife handle with ipe one time and used tru oil to finish it and around 4 months ago without using the acetone to degrease it first and i think that thing is STILL sticky.  :(   So yeah, now I just degrease with acetone before finishing now.  It also helps to pull the dust out of the grain for me when I use it too so win-win.   ;)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline barebo

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »
Here's my "drying solution" - I'll let it stay here for a few days - if it seems to work, I'll wait befor I do any more with it. I'd hate to have to attempt stripping it .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:15:26 pm »
I now routinely put a primer coat of shellac on all my bows that are not dyed (shellac will cause alcohol based dyes to run). I started doing that after my shop was contaminated with silicone and I could not keep a finish on my bows no matter what I did. Shellac solved the problem as it will seal just about any contanimate including silicone, oily wood and greasy finger smudges.
Gordon