Author Topic: Home Depot arrow  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Home Depot arrow
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:27:32 pm »
I found a 7/16" dowel I got at Home Depot some time ago; I forget for what reason. Anyway, it's snowing and thought I'd try my hand at making a barreled and tapered shaft out of it. Used a thumb plane and sandpaper and it took about 15 minutes to produce a good barreled and tapered shaft from it. We'll see how it shoots when the weather allows. In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with the results. Something to do anyway.
Living a dream...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Home Depot arrow
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:01 am »
Now, this would be a good build along! Is it still snowing?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:29:15 am »
If it shoots well, I'll put together a build along as best I can without photos. But it probably doesn't need photos; it's pretty easy actually.

Still snowing. We're at the beginning of a week-long snowstorm.
Living a dream...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:29:21 am »
Cool! Wish I was there. ;)
  I was amazed how well a thumb plane worked when I started using one on my hardwood shoot arrows. At least with them I only have to taper the forward portion.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:52:02 pm »
It doesn't take long with a thumb plane to reduce the tapers to make a barreled and tapered shaft. I get it close, then finish up with 80 grit sandpaper.

We're getting the second of three snowstorms rolling in right now. We need the snow. No rain last summer. Got the fireplace going with Ponderosa pine I cut this summer from deadfalls.
Living a dream...