Author Topic: Broken Sinew ERC w/pics. (This one REALLY bummed me out.)  (Read 6115 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Broken Sinew ERC w/pics. (This one REALLY bummed me out.)
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:47:27 pm »
I had this one just about ready for finishing up.  Just taking off the final couple of pounds and getting it to final draw length.  I had pulled it many times to 25" and was going for my final draw of 26".  I had heard some creaking when I got to 24" and beyond, but told myself it was just the sinew and glue making a little noise from stretching.  I had it at 54# at 26" and it was bending really nice.  So I took it off the tree and gave it a few pulls then........ :o.   I've broken my share, but this one really hurts. :'(   I'm really short on bow building time and had pretty much all of it invested in this one.    Not sure why it broke?  It was 58" tip to tip.  It had 3 complete layers of sinew and 1 crowning layer.  I've been storing it at 78 degrees and 30% humidity while I've been working on it.   It seems to have broken in the handle which seems like an odd place to break.  It was bendy handled but it wasn't moving much at all at full draw.   Any ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: Broken Sinew ERC w/pics. (This one REALLY bummed me out.)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:04:40 pm »
OUCH!! That sucks.  Couldnt tell ya why it broke, maybe a weak spot there in the handle?

Good luck on the next one.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:29:11 pm »
That really sucks, it was a gorgeous piece of wood. It seems to me that they always break just as I am finishing the tiller.  :'(

That is strange to see the sinew broken off in a straight line like that.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:08:33 am »
Well I know some people like ERC, but every bow I've made out of it has done that at some point. (Exploded for no aparent reason) Backed or not. I've given up on erc.  I've got much better, reliable,choices for bow wood around. Sorry about your luck, but I can't say I'm surprized. You should have better luck with that hawthorne.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:22:34 am »
Sorry Rick!  It really blows when one goes like that, especially right when you are closing in on it.  I also hate to see that it broke right in the handle too so no you can't even build another limb for it either.   :'(  Good luck on your next one.  hope it holds for a hundred years!   ;D -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:02:06 am »
  How thick and how wide at the handle where it broke? also too dry may have aggravated it. cedar dries out quickly. Steve

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:37 am »
Ouch,,thats a bummer for sure. That was a very nice looking piece of wood. Just part of building bows.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:30:28 am »
Man...I am sorry to see this one Rick! Thats a lot of work down the Toilet there....Sorry! I am with Badger here...Maybe being kept that warm at only 30% R/H was too much for the ERC to handle....looks like the Belly may have had a Compression Failure and when the Belly fibers gave up the Farm...the Sinew followed...I have always had good luck with ERC...I had only one so far that Blew Up...and that was due to a String Failure at a Nock Cut that was too sharp...and it really looked just like that does....it broke in two in the Handle also...make sure that you soak all of the Sinew off and reuse it...too much time in all that Preparation  to just toss it too....better luck on the Hawthorne Stave
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:53 am »
AAAhhh, too bad! Really feel sorry for you!
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:52:31 am »
Well damn Rick that sucks :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 04:57:42 am »
That's weird. 3 layers of sinew should be able to take a huge amount of stress. There must have been a flaw in the wood or in the sinew layer. I once had a sinew backed ash/oak recurve break. It had only one layer of sinew, but the single-growthring ash "core" did snap right off in tension. The sinew layer didn't tear itself apart though. There was no flaw in the wood at that spot, so I concluded I had just overstressed the limb too much.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:57:15 am »
  I think that the handle failed in compression, erc doesn't like being too dry. Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 06:17:16 am »
It's ERC , I am with Ryan on this one,I know some people build some nice bows from it,but I have never had any luck with it.I plan on trying one more but plan on leaving the sap wood on.Sorry I know that stinks with that much work in it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:03 am »
ERC really isn't what you'd call "bow wood" in my book. Sammich it between some glass and you'll be alright, but that's as far as I'd trust it. That said, I think your bow may have survived if it was longer and perhaps maybe even a tad wider. Every wood species is different. They will all only take so much stress; some more than others.

coyote pup

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:48:47 am »
Yep. Not trying to jump on the bandwagon now that one broke, but I say the reason it broke is it's ERC. ERC breaks.

I tried ERC once and it exploded before I could even brace it. When a wood explodes like it did for no reason, it tells me never to use it again. If a bow cracks, it's one things. But if it straight up explodes, it's just not good wood.