Author Topic: hickory backed cherry- why so fast!!?  (Read 5394 times)

Offline sulphur

hickory backed cherry- why so fast!!?
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:56:39 pm »
had an oppurtunity to see a bow i made a few years ago that was hickory backed cherry.  i was surprised by how fast it was.  the tiller was not particularly good in fact i would say it was whip ended.  its 1.5 " wide till the last 15" of the limb then tapering to .5 nocks.  I really am trying to understand why this bow was so fast, it was every bit as fast as a hickory backed osage bow that was 8# heavier and much better built (one of my more recent).   any ideas guys?  i tell you what though, its got me going to the lumber yard tomorrow to pick up some more cherry!

Offline KShip85

Re: hickory backed cherry- why so fast!!?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:07:53 am »
I'm no expert but I have heard cherry has one of the lowest hystersis values of many woods.  That could be a reason for good performance.
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:56:08 am »
If you follow badgers mass theory its not so much the wood as it is the design that makes the bow efficient(fast).
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

coyote pup

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:54:18 am »
I'm thinking along the same lines as Dana. What kind of cross-section does the cherry have?

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:33:47 pm »
If you can get cherry to hold together or not fret, it makes one of the fastest bows there is.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 01:10:51 pm »
Low limb mass.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 01:30:42 pm »
      As said above, cherry has almost no hystreisis. It does tend to chrysal though. My favorite hunting bow was a hickory backed cherry for many years but the chrsals final go to the point where I was worried about it. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:49:18 pm »
Whip tiller also means that you have low mass on the outer limbs to move. It can make for a fast bow, but it is a gamble between speed and durability.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sulphur

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:50 pm »
thanks for the hints fellas.  I did notice the top limb had a ever so slight chrysal.  i am gonna give it another go with some good ash i have been saving for backings

dmann

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:55:59 pm »
the real reason for the unbelievable speed is the fact that cherry has amazing compressional strength. While hickory has possibly the most tensile strength of any wood. Putting cherry as the belly and hickory as the back is a recipe for speed

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 12:51:01 am »
cherry is evil, that's why it's so fast. it wants you to love it so it can crush you with a loud BANG!- clatter, clatter   >:D

Offline sulphur

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 05:57:39 am »
thats funny ;D  i used cherry a lot when i first go started because it was cheap and i found a few really straight boards.  i didn't realize it was so touchy. probably why i had so many failures.  i bought some more today at woodcraft.  I am looking forward to the challenge.  right now i am thinking maple might be a better match for a backing.  Its been hard to find hickory lately.  i may have to take a trip to the saw mill.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:15:38 am »
Several years back I bought a hickory-backed "u-finish" bow from Dan Quillian. Still have that bow. Its taken quite a bit of set, but the weight and smoothness are pretty amazing.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 08:08:32 pm »
i'd recommend making the maple backing a little thicker than usual, unless you find some maple with absolutely flawless grain. i had a MBC explode after well over 600 arrows due to a slight (very slight) ripple in the grain of the maple right at the handle (thought it would be safe there  >:( ). it kinda put me off maple for awhile.   :'(

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 02:08:52 pm »
I've always felt whip ending should give more speed, despite plenty of opinion to the contrary.
If you take a stiff limb tip and say it takes say 10milliseconds to recover from full draw, if you then remove material from the the last say 5", and draw it to the point where that point 5" down the limb is at it's previous deflection, you will actually be drawing further (due to the additional tip flex).
The point 5" in should still take 10 milliseconds to recover (as you havn't changed anything on the handle side of that point), but while it has been recovering the last 5" has recovered the extra draw (assuming a 5" limb with very small deflection will recover at least as quick as the remaining 20+" of limb).
Thus your longer draw has recovered in the same time and is therefore faster...now factor in that you have removed mass, even quicker still.
Off course this my be an over simplification and total bull, because in reality you would have lowered the draw weight of your existing bow at the same draw...but if you do it before the bow is reduced to final weight to get the effect at your required draw length the logic should hold good.
Presumably the reason a Holmgaard design works is that the stiff levers are light as well as stiff due to their narrow/deep section.
Common sense would tend to say that all parts of the limb should work together for maximum efficiency (ignoring the string angle/recurve arguments)
Del
(blimey, I need to lie down now)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.