Author Topic: trouble shooting-need 1 pound  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Blacktail

trouble shooting-need 1 pound
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:06:54 am »
o.k. i have an oak bow sinew backed...54"and its at a 5"brace..with my draw at 22" its at 39 pounds....for the state of Oregon to be legal for deer it need to be at 40 pounds..i am trying to figure out how to get one more pound...in fact i am not even going to take out the rasp marks because the is more wood taken off..and i don't want to lose any more weight.....this sound dumb but is there any tricks to get one pound.LOL..john

Offline Traxx

Re: trouble shooting-need 1 pound
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:33 am »
Draw it to 22 n 1/2.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:16:03 am »
so,you think i just need to give it more draw..o.k. that work for me...i was thinking of maybe bracing it 5 1/4 or 1/2 but i dont know if the little stick can take it..thanks john

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:30:46 am »
I go with 2 trax on that, or just mark the bow 50#@ 26". How many wardens acrarry a bow scale? Steve

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:42:53 am »
AHHHHH..now that is smart thinking steve...that sounds great..thanks john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:30:50 am »
John, as stated just one more inch of draw should net roughly 3 lbs.  When are you bringing it over for me to shoot? ;D  After all you know That I have a short draw length. >:D You could also give it another coarse of sinew.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:18:15 am »
I go with 2 trax on that, or just mark the bow 50#@ 26". How many wardens acrarry a bow scale? Steve
I agree......  The bow would be really close to 50#@26", so it isn't a lie. They don't need to know you don't draw that far.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:18:42 am »
How old is the sinew?  If it's new, it will probably pick up draw weight over time anyway.  Try putting it somewhere hot and dry for a week, then give it a couple days to reach equilibrium in the house and weigh it again.  Or, if you need it tomorrow, just mark it 50#@26" and call it a day. ;)
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:51:32 am »
John, your bow will likely have a heavier draw by Fall when the weather is drier.
Gordon

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:08:53 am »
Work on stretching your draw a bit.  A 54" sinew backed bow will easily take a longer draw
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 12:33:53 pm »
wow,some more great info...well,the sinew is new and i guess with time it will gain weight...and for now i will just pulll a little harder.and mark it for something else...thank so much guys..john

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:46:48 pm »
John...when you are saying NEW....how New is it?? Maybe you should not be pulling it at all....... :-\....I let mine go at least three Months...try to leave them six after finishing...and they are still gaining in drawweight after that
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 01:03:03 pm »
well the natives hunted from horse back with short bow adn short draws
they could kill bison and many other large game animals with their gear,so i dont think that this
would be bad for deer sized animals.
my state has a minimum draw weight of 35# for deer and turkey
its not so much how heavy a draw your bow has,its got a lot more to do with shot placement
a well placed shot from a 35# bow will kill just as dead as a well placed shot from a 70# bow
dead is dead
as long as you can put the arrow where it needs to be
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

half eye

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 01:14:30 pm »
Same here in Michigan 35# and our DNR is allways thinking "worst case" so you have pleanty of draw weight for deer. In the 40's and 50's before the DNR had any rules about these things a whole bunch of deer were killed cleanly with 35# bows. Like sailordad said "put it where youre lookin". I wont shoot deer at more than 20 yds tops (my personal descision) and the length of your power stroke should not matter at that range....English archery, flight shooting etc. maybe but not at reasonable hunting ranges.....just the old-guys opinion. Get yerself a good heavy arrow, with a really sharp 2 blade head....that will kill quick and clean.
half eye

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 01:38:36 pm »
John, if this is a new sinew job, it will definitely gain weight by the Fall. And like Marc noted, such a bow can certainly handle a draw length of more than 22".
Gordon