Author Topic: Seagul fletch?  (Read 11718 times)

Offline riarcher

Seagul fletch?
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:57:22 pm »
Living on the ocean, I've a fairly unlimited amount if I hunt the shores and such for them.
I'd think they'd be naturally water proofed?
Wondering why I've never heard of anyone using them.
Since they're so plentiful, I'm almost willing to think the native eastern indians may have at least tried them?
Any reason why they wouldn't work?
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Seagul fletch?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »
Not sure, but aren't they illegal to kill?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:56 pm »
Yup illegal to kill em here in Michigan
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:03:09 pm »
Who said anything about Killing them?? The Feathers are all over up and down the Beaches....and they ain't a Raptor...so it should be fine to have them...and II don't see why they would not work on an Arrow either....lets see the finished Products.... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:11:38 pm »
I would check the federal and state laws before I used them. If they are illegal to kill they will probably be illegal to use. If you are confronted by the authorities can you prove you did not kill the bird they came from? Call your local DNR and ask them!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:17:19 pm »
                                           OK...PAt....I am Eatin Crow....Dat aint Illegal...is it......... >:D

The United States of American has a number of federal laws which prohibit the possession or use of many bird feathers. These laws are designed to protect various bird species from the indiscriminant hunting that was common during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The Bald Eagle Protection Act was established in 1940 and later amended in 1962 to include golden eagles. This law makes it illegal to kill, possess, sell, purchase, barter, offer to sell or purchase or barter, transport, export or import at any time or in any manner a bald or golden eagle, alive or dead; or any part, nest or egg of these eagles. Each separate violation carries up to a $5,000 fine and one year in prison. Federal Fish and Wildlife officers do not have to have a warrant to search, seize or arrest anyone whom they believe may be in violation of this law.

There are specific exceptions to this law for which federal permits may be obtained from the Fish and Wildlife Service. Scientific institutions, public museums and zoological gardens may acquire Eagles or parts for education and exhibition. Farmers and livestock owners can kill eagles that they can prove are damaging their livestock. Lastly, Native Americans enrolled in federally recognized tribes may legally possess eagle feathers and other parts for use in religious ceremonies. This last provision mandates that these feathers be obtained, via permit, from a central distribution office in Colorado, and can not be sold, bartered or given away to anyone other than another enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe. There is also a “pre-act” clause to the law that allows for the possession of Bald eagles acquired before June 8, 1940 and Golden eagles acquired before October 24, 1962. However, this clause does not allow for the selling, trading or bartering of these birds or their parts.

Eagle feathers are not the only ones regulated under federal law. Many other bird species are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, really a series of agreements with Canada, Great Britain, Mexico and the former Soviet Union signed between 1916 and 1976. These cover just about any bird species found in the United states, including hawks, owls, falcons, sparrows, seagulls, chickadees, herons, hummingbirds, doves, jays, and crows. As with the Bald Eagle Protection Act, this law prohibits the taking, killing, possession, selling and barter of these birds or their parts. Exceptions are made for some traditional game birds such as Canada geese, rails, snipes and most ducks, which are regulated through hunting permits and stamps. Other exceptions are regulated via permits which allow for scientific collections, falconry, breeding programs, taxidermy and special cases. In addition to these two monumental laws, many species are also controlled or protected by The Endangered Species Act and various state laws and regulations. 

Summaries of these laws and others pertaining to protected species can be found at the website for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service (http://birds.fws.gov/Laws.htm). There are a few feathers that are legal to own and use on Native American art intended for sale. These come mainly from domestic species of turkey, duck, chicken, goose and pheasant. There are also some very well made reproductions: domestic goose or turkey feathers hand painted to resemble eagle and hawk feathers. This article is in no way intended as legal advice, I highly recommend that you contact your federal or state wildlife officer with any questions pertaining to feathers and their legal use.   
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:51 pm »
Mike, you can eat crow legally in NC, at least if you kill it on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday of each week
between June 3, 2009, and Feb. 28, 2010 or Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day, July 4th, New Year’s
Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27:54 pm »
Hmmm, if they are illegal to have, we have a lot of naughty tourist that visit in the summer.
Even school groups, naturist, and artist proudly distribute them like some sort of "beautiful thing".

They're all over the place. Especially when they molt or whatever they do when they go from brown barred to whit / grey or whit / black.

Just to be safe, I'll keep any info to me self (less I get crucified by a PETA sort).  ;)

Another natural resource going to waste? (dwats)  ::)

Somehow, I find it hard to believe a Seagul is even remotely a endangered species.  ::) ??? :o

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:29 pm »
Well, this is not legal advice, your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, etc., etc. But generally in cases of things like seagull feathers, the authorities tend to concentrate on people selling the feathers or killing the birds.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:58:20 pm »
A Seagull goes from Barred feathers to White...when they Mature...all Fledglings are Mottled Brown Barred and turn to White on their Second Season of Life...sorta like a Swan turns to white as they Mature
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline riarcher

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:19 am »
Yup, and I'd bet them bared feathers would make a nice primative arrow in 2 feather or 3 w/ white-grey gull cock.
Like you said, all over during certain times of year. Not as big as turkey, but bigger than cut turkey.
But, anyways, I'd expect them to be waterproof a lot better than any spray or powder on turkey.
Don't know, but would expect so.
When it happens this year, gonna try it. Barred gull is a nice lookin feather.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:25:34 am by riarcher »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:27:58 am »
I'd rather see the feathers go back into the environment than to see the birds hunted into extinction. If the use of these feathers were allowed someone would take advantage of the situation and we know if you give some folks an inch, they WILL take a mile.
  Most of these birds and not endangered species but they were hunted for their feathers for the fashion trade and thus they are now protected.

If you want water resistance feathers use duck or goose feathers. They are legal.   ...and if I were gonna do something illegal I guarantee I would not broadcast it over the internet. Once written on the internet, always on the internet!!! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:18:27 am »
   ...and if I were gonna do something illegal I guarantee I would not broadcast it over the internet. Once written on the internet, always on the internet!!! ;)

Well said...!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:42 am »
PETA, that's People Eating Tasty Animals, right? >:D
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 02:42:09 pm »
Eagle feathers are not the only ones regulated under federal law. Many other bird species are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, really a series of agreements with Canada, Great Britain, Mexico and the former Soviet Union signed between 1916 and 1976. These cover just about any bird species found in the United states, including hawks, owls, falcons, sparrows, seagulls, chickadees, herons, hummingbirds, doves, jays, and crows. As with the Bald Eagle Protection Act, this law prohibits the taking, killing, possession, selling and barter of these birds or their parts. legal use.   

Little did I know, I was an outlaw with that Daisy Red Ryder.  Dad always called me "Chickadee Hunter" when he saw me with it :D
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit