Author Topic: Anyone make their own Field Points? Added Pics and Video  (Read 10398 times)

Offline Bushbow

Anyone make their own Field Points? Added Pics and Video
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:09:49 am »
Does anyone have any ideas about how to make field points? I have been using glue on standard 5 degree taper steel points on my bamboo arrows. I have some thoughts about how I may fabricate my own at home. But before starting another experiment, I thought I would ask.

Update 02/03/10:
Thanks for the great ideas. Since I don't have a welder or a lathe I though I would try something similar. I bought some 16D double headed (or duplex) nails. I ground off the primary head to form a point, the secondary head abuts the end of the shaft. The finished point came out to 145 grains, you could reduce the weight by trimming the tail. They also have 8D Duplex nails. Pics below. Or if you want to see the details video link below also. Chuck S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNYQhCoOUl4

16D Duplex Nail

Sharpened 16D Duplex Nail
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:01:46 pm by Bushbow »

Offline Swamp Bow

Re: Anyone make their own Field Points?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:07 am »
Got a lathe?  It would be easy enough.  I've thought about it, and I probably will at some point just so I can say I have.  Steel points are so cheap though, it's hardly worth it.  I'd probably make some stainless and brass one.  I'd be interested to know if you try it.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:37:33 am »
i wanna know where your getting your glue on points from, i cant find them..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:22 am »
i wanna know where your getting your glue on points from, i cant find them..

3 Rivers
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:02:54 pm »
These are field points that Kenneth(Little John) sent me and they both work very well. One style is for cane arrows(16d nail with brass head added) and the other for wood(hardwood shoots, pre-shaped before gluing in) arrows. They should work fine for store bought shafting also.  It is a strip of steel with an indentation on either side for a wrap. They are inserted just like with trade points and are very tough.  I glued them in with TB glue and shaped them on my belt sander before wrapping and gluing the wrap.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline uwe

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:16:54 pm »
I make them on a lathe. Myaterials: brass, aluminium, steel, stainless steel.  I bore them cylindrical. Diameter of bore belongs to dia of bamboo. I have drills will steps in 1/10 mm upwards.
I use hot glue sticks from Pattex. Heated on a campinggasstove.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:59 pm »
that nail idea is the best ever.  i just made me 20 of those type at work.  course i used our mig welder and 6d nail.  sure is hard to pull a puddle of weld on top of a nail head! 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 07:28:01 pm »
A member just posted some arrows he made (Broadhead is his name) that he used a screw to make a field point. You could screw the screw into the shaft, cut off the head, and then file a point on it.
Living a dream...

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:26 pm »
9mm shell casing, punch out the primer, insert a nail that fits. cut the nail about 1/2 inch long and sharpen to a point. You can even melt lead into them, to bring the weight up.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
Hey, that' a great idea, Lombard! I'm going to try that!
Living a dream...

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:14 am »
Thanks everyone for their input. I do not have a lathe, but I do have a drill press. Not the same but it may help. I like the nail idea, I also have some thoughts on using steel tubing.The narrow blade insert is also a possibility, especially since I work for a company that fabricates stainless steel equipment, cut with a laser (not quite primitive, but it is an older laser). I will post an update once I get something made.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:20:03 am »
Bushbow - Be careful not to put too much sideways pressure on your drill press. The quill could get messed up if you do.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 12:25:32 pm »
Those nail points that Little John makes are da bomb. They're much better than glue-ons, you can adjust the weight by trimming the nail length, and they don't stick as bad as regular field points in 3D targets, trees and such.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:51:56 pm »
i like the ones i made.  i just use a drill bit to clean out the center.  just clamp it good and tight with some vice grips.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: Anyone make their own Field Points? Added Pics and Video
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 07:46:50 am »
I came across something quite some time ago, for recreating Mongol style iron broadheads, using 80-100 penny nails.  The person would cold forge the tip of the nail into the broadhead shape, then cut it off at the desired length plus the length of the shaft.  The shank was shaped by making 4 cuts lengthwise from the base, tic-tac-toe fashion, leaving a square shank in the center, and the outer sections removed with perpendicular cuts at the base of the head.  I think if you just dressed up the nail point, rather than hammering it out, you could have a bodkin-like field point.  Of course, then there's what do you do with the 6-8" of left over nail? :-\
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit