Author Topic: takedown longbow sleeve  (Read 6729 times)

Offline woodsroamer

takedown longbow sleeve
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »
This question has been asked before but I thought a second asking might get better results: Has anyone made their own longbow take down sleeves? In a previous similar question someone simply answered that there had been an article in Primitive Archer Magazine sometime, somewhere, someplace...or essentially like that showing how to make take down longbow sleeves. Okay, but aside from that, and addressing the question a bit more specifically: Has anyone on this forum ever made any longbow take down sleeves? Not long ago a gentleman posted a How-To on making a takedown longbow. But he ordered the sleeves from a commercial enterprise and I just can't see paying nearly 40 bucks for a couple of small pipes. Besides, I like to make things myself. That's just part of the fun of this endeavour. So any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kegan

Re: takedown longbow sleeve
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:25:32 pm »
I was googling and came across an old magazine article on how to make a hunting bow... a takedown no less! The bow's handle was simply cut in half and shaped to fit into a piece of normal piping smashed into an oval. It worked because they had photos of the bow being tillered to full draw. At 40-50# their handle was a bit smaller, but I'm working on one myself for a bow of about my weight (75#) with a larger handle- 1 1/8" wide inside the pipe, about 1 5/8" deep. Unfortunately, I haven't found the time to cut stave I have waiting yet and start building :-X

Was that any help :(?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:44:03 pm »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline woodsroamer

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:27:33 pm »
Thanks so much, fellows. I knew if I could get answers then I could get them here! Kegan: Can't wait to see your completed bow.

W.R.