Author Topic: Selfbow Handle  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

Selfbow Handle
« on: February 04, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »
This is my first attempt at incorporating a shelf into a selfbow handle.  Its still a little rough, but it ought to be pretty when she is all sanded and sealed.

This piece of wood has a bend in the bottom limb that makes the string track left center of the handle.  I have not shot it but a few times, but I think its going to be close to centershot.  In fact, it may be a tad beyond centershot.  I have heat bended the limb twice and got it to where its at now.  If it shoots good, I am going to call it finished. 

The tiller on this one was tough, several knots, a twist and that crazy bent bottom limb.  I don't have pics now, but soon will get them and post.  60" NTN ... probaby mid-50's at 28"  I haven't shot her in yet, or rounded the limbs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tdog

Re: Selfbow Handle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »
Looks good Sandy!

Mark
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »
Thanks Mark:

I have shed some blood over this bow.  I was shaping the handle yesterday afternoon and my rasp slipped off and sunk the chisel tip into the web of my left thumb.  OUCH.  Five stitches later, I know what the name of this little bow is going to be thanks to my wife.  I think we are going to flip a coin over FIVE STITCH or O - POSITIVE.

It has a few knots, a twist and a bad curved bottom limb.  The tillering was very difficult, but I have it close none the less.  I was going to shoot it today some, but stitches in the web of my bow hand tells me I can't. 

Its a short little number 60 inches and all muscle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:39:45 am »
Get your corners rounded before you shoot it too much. It shouldn't effect the draw weight but will keep a splinter from lifting. Looking forward to seeing some pore pics, braced, unbraced and full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 05:47:17 am »
also, it looks in one of those pics that the fade:limb transition is a bit blocky...that could be robbing you of a bit of bending area and putting undue stress on the midlimb...on the other hand, it can keep the bending forces away from the handle and that cut-in shelf

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:55 am »
Looks good to me,like Radius and Pat said maybe smooth things out a little at the fads and edges.You can always put a little thicker striker plate on it to bring it back out to center if it ant to far in.Looks like yours is OK but you have to be careful when cutting a shelf,to be sure you don't get any bend in the handle area.Where you violate the longitudinal grain it will pop a splinter or worse if it bend there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:09:40 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I am still very green at this whole process. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:17:31 pm »
We all were once. You will be giving out help before you know it to another newby!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC