Author Topic: Dipping Arrows  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Steve Cover

• Archery is for Everybody!!!
Dipping Arrows
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:21:06 pm »
I've been making wood arrows for over 40 years.

However, I've never tried to dye any of them.

I recently bought a dip tube with that explicitly in mind.  It came with a rubber membrane to fit under the cap.

Can anyone give me some advice as how to use it?

Thanks,

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Dipping Arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:28:18 pm »
 Never used one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »
Steve.  Did the rubber membrane come with holes in it or at least one in the middle?  If so, that is used in conjunction with gasket lacquer.  You push the arrow down through the hole in the rubber, into the dip tube that is filled with gasket laquer and then pull it out.  If it has no holes in it, I have no idea.

Offline Steve Cover

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:23 pm »
Steve.  Did the rubber membrane come with holes in it or at least one in the middle?  If so, that is used in conjunction with gasket lacquer.  You push the arrow down through the hole in the rubber, into the dip tube that is filled with gasket laquer and then pull it out.  If it has no holes in it, I have no idea.
There is no hole in it.... Your explanation is what I suspected it was for.

How close to shaft size should I make the hole??

Thanks,

Steve
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »
Just enough to squeegee (spelling) the gasket lacquer off the shaft.  It will leave a very thin film that will dry almost by the time you have dipped a dozen shafts.  Not sure that is what you have though, because they come pre punched, or the one's that I got did.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:47:31 pm »
The gaskets I got for the GL came pre-punched.  Are you talking about sealing the arrows with GL, or about dying/staining them?  If you are going to dip them to stain them, don't use the rubber gasket.  It pulls too much dye/stain off and doesn't let enough stay on the arrow to take it.  At least, that's what's I've seen.  That gasket may just be to keep the stuff from drying out when you are not using it.  I dunno.  To stain arrows, I'll dip them and let it drip off for several seconds, then run a towel down the shaft and set it aside to dry.  Or run stain or dye over them by hand.  But, I sure haven't used all there is out there, so you may have something else that would work better.  If you do, let me know please!   ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:01:56 am »
Fiebings leather dye rubbed on with a cloth is a great easy way to stain shafts, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Steve Cover

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:58:16 am »
The gaskets I got for the GL came pre-punched.  Are you talking about sealing the arrows with GL, or about dying/staining them?  If you are going to dip them to stain them, don't use the rubber gasket.  It pulls too much dye/stain off and doesn't let enough stay on the arrow to take it.  At least, that's what's I've seen.  That gasket may just be to keep the stuff from drying out when you are not using it.  I dunno.  To stain arrows, I'll dip them and let it drip off for several seconds, then run a towel down the shaft and set it aside to dry.  Or run stain or dye over them by hand.  But, I sure haven't used all there is out there, so you may have something else that would work better.  If you do, let me know please!   ;)
Thanks,

I've thought about the dip and wipe off scenario too.

The unpunched membrane has me stumped.

Steve
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:03:26 am »
When I made cedars I would use a dip tube for finishes only. I usually used water based poly. Dip the shaft, let the excess drip off and hang to dry. It will continue to drip so protect the surface below from the excess. Two coats of poly made a good finish and no chemical smell.
  Now I use either hand rubbed Tru-Oil or my home made pine pitch varnish which I brush on for my hardwood shoot arrows and cane arrows I have removed the rind from. On cane with the rind intact I usually don't add a finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:46 am »
In the past it wasn't uncommon to soak arrows in Danish oil to increase weight. A plug with no hole would be necessary to keep from spilling the oil.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Steve Cover

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 02:53:42 am »
To the moderators.

Thanks for pulling the plug on the Spline/spine thread.

Life is way too short for that kind of BS.

I'm a good guy, and intend to be an active productive member of the forum.

Feel free to delete any and all further attacks on me.

Steve
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR

Offline Steve Cover

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:33 am »
When I made cedars I would use a dip tube for finishes only. I usually used water based poly. Dip the shaft, let the excess drip off and hang to dry. It will continue to drip so protect the surface below from the excess. Two coats of poly made a good finish and no chemical smell.
  Now I use either hand rubbed Tru-Oil or my home made pine pitch varnish which I brush on for my hardwood shoot arrows and cane arrows I have removed the rind from. On cane with the rind intact I usually don't add a finish.
I've dipped arrows in paint and hung them to dry for years.

I appreciate the feedback.

From what I've read so far, I think I will experiment with punching a 80% sized hole in the membrane and dipping in my walnut die.

Tell me more about your home made pine pitch varnish.  I have lots of pines on my retirement property.

Thanks again,

Steve
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 10:19:47 am »
Dissolve hard pine pitch in alcohol, strain off the trash and store in an air tight jar. The harder the pitch the better. It will dry hard as soon as the alcohol evaporates. If the pitch is tacky or oozy when dissolved it will take longer to "cure" once the alcohol evaporates.
  I also use pitch varnish to seal sinew wraps on arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Steve Cover

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:37 am »
Dissolve hard pine pitch in alcohol, strain off the trash and store in an air tight jar. The harder the pitch the better. It will dry hard as soon as the alcohol evaporates. If the pitch is tacky or oozy when dissolved it will take longer to "cure" once the alcohol evaporates.
  I also use pitch varnish to seal sinew wraps on arrows.
Thanks,

Steve
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR