Author Topic: Teaser for Richard Saffold  (Read 9015 times)

Offline Timo

Teaser for Richard Saffold
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »
Osage backed Ipe recurve. 61" ntn setting  43# @ 25" right now. Got 3" to go. Was hoping for 50# @ 28". Should be close.Letting it sweat some more trying to get the tiller to settle in. I glued this up with no reflex,(other than the recurves)  hoping for it to take fatigue out of the handle and out through the mid limb and it has taken only 3/4: set so far.

Not sure if it is gonna hold together ? Short draw shot it quite a bit already and man this stuff is fast.My first attempt at this wood combo.Don't take much to make a bow.

Limbs are 1 3/16" @ the fades,tapering to 1/2" tips. The thickest part I can find on the limbs is 7/16". Osage backing is edge grain 1/8".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Timo

Re: Teaser for Richard Saffold
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:04:55 pm »
Fergot the other pic :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:09:45 pm »
Man thats looking good Timo :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:47 pm »
EXTRAORDINARY!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »
That's lookin good 8)  Just take her on out a couple inches more and send her on over to me. I'll finish it for ya ::)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:08:00 pm »
ba ba ba ba ba bad 8)  ;D I dont sing any better in real life ;D     cool bow 8)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:13:26 pm »
...that's lookin pretty stinkin cool!  Can't wait to see it finished!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:40:50 pm »
Sweeet, looking great! ;)

Offline barebo

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:22:51 pm »
Timo - I'm really wanting to try a recurve bad....!! How did you bend them in ?? That is one Sweet lookin' bow.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 10:36:23 pm »
That is one good looking bow.  Keep it coming.
Traverse City, MI

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 11:31:59 pm »
Timo,

Looks real good, and considering how short those limbs are I'd shave a little off the sides when going for the last few inches..You might be able to sand it off as well as you are so close..

That wood you sent me worked out great. I have an Ipe backed osage longbow like the last two I made bending pretty good..

That bow may actually be faster at 25-26" draw considering the poundage and limb length. Often if I like at this point I just shoot them and rub a little with the sandpaper or touch it with the scraper...

Rich

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 11:43:24 pm »
osage backed ipe... what an unusual combination!!

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 12:22:34 am »
Barebo, I sawed kerfs in the limb tips,heat bent them on a form,then glued in fillers (for the kerfs) and everything else at the same time. I used ipe for the fillers and handel.Ya can't even tell it has been sawn.

Rich,I am amazed at how fast this bow is already.And so little wood? I have been sanding the last few inches to finish the tiller on out.It is at rest tonight.I am curious as to how it rest overnight. It has already been through some long brace times,and is holding well.Impressive stuff!I will finish it tomorrow or monday, we have another 9" snow coming so will get some more shop time looks like.
Glad the wood worked out well for ya.I'd be interested in another trade for some wider ipe? I have some more ideas that I would like to try. I got me a drum sander so now I can run thicknesses.I haven't used what you sent me yet, but that is my next project.

Thanks all for the good words. BUT.... It ain't over till ...well you know.:)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:40:28 am »
Extremely nice bow Tim. Interesting combo!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:49:10 am »
Nice bow Tim. Rich has me thinking outside the box also, I have an osage backed boo going right now also.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah