Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4706928 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #14280 on: January 03, 2017, 11:33:28 am »
Sept. 29th 2017, after that the calendar days of the week says 6 Saturday's and Sunday. ;)
Not sure how she did it but I thought is was very cool and really sweet of her. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14281 on: January 03, 2017, 11:36:22 am »
Very thankful Pappy, I know you'll keep busy
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14282 on: January 03, 2017, 09:10:07 pm »
You had quite the busy holiday. Things at Twin Oaks makes me yearn for the Classic. Won't be long now.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14283 on: January 04, 2017, 03:47:03 am »
Thanks for sharing Pappy - glad to see Sister is "Earning Her keep" . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14284 on: January 04, 2017, 04:34:24 am »
Ya Pat I try and stay busy ;) and I was just thinking about the Classic this morning, got an email asking the dates so I guess I need to post something soon. Bob she is coming along nicely, I would love to get her on another track or 2 this year but it is getting late and deer are getting harder to come by with a bow right now, we will see, maybe this weekend. ??? If not I plan on working with her on a leash and some raw meat/hide at least to keep her on track over the winter. The hard part on a tracking dog is getting them to figure out what you want them to find, after they figure that out, some do some never do ??? then it is all up to them, a dog with a good noise helps but most any dog can track if they just know what to track and not go chasing everything in the woods. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14285 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:00 am »
Pappy, could you freeze some deer blood and put down a few practice trails during the off season?  I don't know squat about training dogs. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14286 on: January 04, 2017, 10:01:35 am »
You can do that Clint and many do but I like my dog trained to follow sent not just blood, because as we all know sometimes they don't bleed much so hide or raw meat seems to work better for my purpose. Sometimes they may be 10/15 feet or more off the blood trail to either side depending on the wind drift and also once they really figure it out they sometimes wind the critter you are trailing and cut cross country straight to it, which has saved me a lot of walking and time on many tracks. The key is you have to learn to trust your dog and that takes several tracks and time for you to not second guess them, once you know the dog is going to track the deer you want to find [ not just any deer it runs up on ] and are SURE of it, their is nothing like watching one work. :) I got out of it for several years because of the time it takes. I have tracked as many as 20 or more in one season and it take away from sleep and also hunting time, call all hours of the night and day and it was always hard for me to say no. Now that I am making plans to retire I will have the time and I really do enjoy it. ;) Now Just need to get Sister a few more tracks under her belt and learn to trust her which like I said takes some time. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14287 on: January 04, 2017, 10:23:32 am »
From training dozens of coon dogs here in the past Pappy your right.Once a dog gets focused I call it on a paticular track it should'nt waver to different tracks,and it's more work than most people realize.It's fun seeing a dog put it together and knowing it'll get a scratch on the head for doing good.Then she's on her way and will only get better with more and more outings.Her self confidence will grow.By the sound of how many deer your shooting in your area that should cement her habit good.
Dogs are creatures of habit just like people.Put them on the right rail and keep em there and everybody will be happy.Some pick it up quicker than others.Patience.I've always owned working dogs my whole life.It gives them a purpose in life.Like everything should.I've found getting the dog bonded with me and it seeing what I want and getting praise for it puts it together.They want to help and just need patient direction and time.Then they are part of the family and will lead a happy happy life.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14288 on: January 04, 2017, 10:38:16 am »
Very well said Ed. My dogs are my family and it take time and you have to want to do it, so many want a tracking dog but when they make a good hit and know the deer is down they won't take the time to go get the dog, to excited to go get their deer, They only get the dog when all else fails and they can't find it and that will start them off very bad. I like to put them on easy tracks that I know where the deer is and know they can't mess thing up, also you can kind of guide them to keep them on track. After a few of them they began to understand what you want from them. Then some good praise and maybe a sliver of liver and all of the sudden you have a tracker. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14289 on: January 04, 2017, 11:05:36 am »
Never saw a dog that didn't love liver. They practically inhale it.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14290 on: January 04, 2017, 06:51:45 pm »
You bet not to really side track this thread but I'm an old coonhunter and can't help it.Spent many an hour jawing about dogs with friends.Anyway they are like children to me.Make things easy for them in the beginning to gain confidence and the rest they can learn on their own.One of the last and very important things a track and tree dog has to learn that takes brains is trailing.Tree dogs are born naturally but to decifer a bad old frost covered track hours old takes brains and drive,and experience.Hunting up north here a guy can appreciate a good track dog in the winter.Once they decifer a really bad track it's really satisfying to see them bloom.
I'll have to depend on snow to help me if I put a good arrow in out there yet but that's ok.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14291 on: January 05, 2017, 04:27:58 am »
Not side tracking this thread Ed, this thread is about what ever we want it to be. ;) :) :) You are right on tough tracks, once they figure something out they will usually never forget it. I had my old Red Bone tracking one night and the deer hit a shallow but wide creek, un knowing to Old Dan the deer went down the creek, he crossed it 3 times before he really slowed down and finely after 3 time going across the creek just to turn when he lost the track on the other side  I thought he was going to drowned his self with lips and nose on the water, he then turned and went straight down the creek for 60 or 70 yards and up the other side and there laid the deer 20 yards from the bank. From  then on when ever he hit a creek he would slow down and really work it before he crossed, like you said it was a learning experience that he never forgot.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14292 on: January 05, 2017, 06:19:40 pm »
You bet a dog gotta have the go to figure things out for themselves too.I can't stand a lazy dog.I call em pot lickers....lol.I seem to call em all pot lickers at one time or another though.When I call em no account pot lickers then they better get ready to find another home....lol.It comes down to faults in a dog.Some are more serious than others.I never fault a dog from making a mistake from it's own enthusiasm,but when their young it's tough for them to slow down.At least they are trying.
Anyway the tough to train ones teach a person important things too.Mostly patience.Their all individuals in their own way.It's fun seeing the young dogs figure out the coon has swam across the river here too.When I first started coon hunting dogs an old hunter still using a carbide light showed me the ropes.Stinking outfit....lol.I was always amazed by how he could take a contrary idiot of a dog and make him a coon dog yet.All because he was patient.We hunted coons even if they were only worth .25 a piece.It was all about the dogs and the sport.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14293 on: January 06, 2017, 04:34:19 am »
I hear ya Ed.got to love a good dog. Well it's Friday and I am headed to the cabin as soon as I can get out of here. No snow last night as they called for but that got the Cold part right. Burrrrrrrr. Down in the low teens tonight and highs not out of the 20's Saturday, it is going to be a cold morning in the Stand tomorrow.  ??? Last regular weekend for us so I have to at least try. ;) We also have a club meeting tomorrow at noon to start making plans for the up coming 3D season and the Classic of course. ;) It will be good to see a lot of old friends I haven't seen since early fall. I have a couple of projects to keep me busy in the shop so should be a good time. Hope yall have a good one also. Stay warm. ;) :) :)            Life is Good. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #14294 on: January 07, 2017, 10:39:25 am »
Finally got out the house on Friday. This Lyme disease got me bad. Guess that's what happens when you've had it for months I guess. Saw that snow and had to get out in brush and hunt. Think I saw about 30 deer in a 3-4 acre old grown up pasture. Saw a goodun still rubbing a tree and then jump on a hot doe. Little bit later here comes another shooter on her backtrail. Deer up and moving all day. They were tearing up the honeysuckle that was all twisted and grown in with the blackberry stalks. No shots. Was sitting on stool, not sure I had the energy or balance to be up in a stand yet.
Lifes still Gud However.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW