Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4671231 times)

Offline BearG

Re: Life is good
« Reply #3810 on: November 09, 2009, 03:25:10 pm »
Man I sure wish I could have made it,  looks like you guyes had a blast.  Maybe after everything slows around here I'll shoot down for the weekend. >:( ;D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3811 on: November 09, 2009, 09:05:00 pm »
looks like another good time, sure like all the pics.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3812 on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:03 pm »
Man....Greg is becoming a Knife Making Machine Pappy....I better watch out or He will be one-upping Me.... >:D

Can't wait till May to get back down there....I didn't get to spend any time with Greg or You making Bows...and I know that I have a Lot I can learn from the two of You!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3813 on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:37 am »
Can't wait either Mike,ya Greg is ate up with knives right now and its getting pretty good at it,he loves the finish work anyway so it fits right in for him. Come on anytime Bear I am usually there.  :)
It was a great week and really went fast when you are busy. :) You are right Chad I had to come back to work to get a little rest. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3814 on: November 10, 2009, 07:45:13 am »
It was really a great time off, with beautiful weather and time in the woods with friends! The knife making tends to take my focus off deer hunting which is pretty bad timing considering the rut is getting started here. I need to be shooting that bow more and stay in tune during the season!

Yeah Mike, I'm really enjoying the knife making. I don't think I know very much about it at this point, especially putting the taper on the blade. The handle work is easy for me as it's similar to the wood working with bows. Getting an even taper, and then finishing the blade and buffing, etc. is where I'm lacking. Don't know if I should just work the taper by eye with belt sanders and files, or use some type of a jig. The "by-eye" definitely requires some learning curve, and I'm not happy with my performance at this point.  :) I've just been sanding and using steel wool, we don't have a buffing wheel yet or any buffing compounds. I copied the pattern of the neck knife you made Pappy. I've got one shaped out of some heavier steel, but haven't put a handle on it yet. I've been working with sheaths over last weekend and this week. I think I've made five of them for knifes I've made. I've been doing some reading but sure would like to spend a few hours with someone who knows what they're doing. I don't know squat about heat tempering yet...when compared to someone making knifes that really knows the processes, I'm below rookie status at this point.

You are right Chad I had to come back to work to get a little rest.
I prefer the good type of tired over the going back to work myself! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3815 on: November 10, 2009, 10:39:19 am »
i think your knives look great, Greg.  Better than mine.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #3816 on: November 10, 2009, 11:22:04 am »
I tell you Greg I love those knives. They look like all they need is some blood on them. You get one sharp and I'll let you use it on my late season deer  ;D ;D  Well, fellers I'm down to 28 days until I start heading home. We've took some licks late in the year but we've giving it in true Warrior fashion. This has been an exhausting, mentally demanding year but the most rewarding of my career. To lead 580 of America's sons and daughters in combat is a humbling yet rewarding experience. I look forward to getting back to some wooded solace.  Besides...Bo Bo misses his Daddy!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3817 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:08 am »
I am sure he does as we all do,can't wait to see ya,Keep your head down and we will see you in a month. :) Thanks for all yall do. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #3818 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:46 pm »
It was a great week that is for sure. Thanks to Pappy, GregB, and BigA for all their help with my bow. I've still got to get the finish work done on it before I can take it out to try to make meat. It turned out great. Jimmy, good luck on your late season hunts and thank you for your service! I appreciate your sacrifice to let us enjoy our freedoms. Keep your tail down and get home. I bet I gained 10 pounds while there. We ate good. Life Is Good at Twin Oaks.
                                                                     David

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3819 on: November 10, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »
Greg...I cheat....I use a Big Pencil Grinder (sorta Huge Dremmel Tool) and a 4 inch Grinder with a Tiger Disc on both to do my Tapered Edges....I lay them out with Machists Dye....and then grind to the Lines....and there you go!! Then the Brutal Part starts....Polishing the Blades to a Shine....and Man watch yourself doing this....I have been gored and almost Castrated doing this..... ;D....make sure that you wear a Leather Apron and a good pair of Gloves....cause when the Buffing Wheel Bites....the Thrill is On...... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3820 on: November 11, 2009, 07:32:23 am »
Thanks Josh! :)

Thank you Jimmy, you're going to be able to use one of my knifes yourself...I decided that a good while back. ;)

Dave, enjoyed hunting with you last week. I wish you'd been the one in that back corner stand Thursday evening! ;)

Mike, I'll keep that in mind. I've read that the buffing can be adventurous. We're going to have to get a buffing wheel for the grinder I guess.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3821 on: November 12, 2009, 05:51:26 am »
Ya and a new belt sander with some belts made for metal,them wood belts don't last long
when you put blades on them,then when you get ready to work with wood it burns it.  :(
Been busy all week and haven't had time to hunt[man I hate it when work get's in the way]
But finely caught up some and plan on getting out this evening,Been seeing a lot of deer moving
lately and the rut is coming fast so it's a good time to be in the woods.  :) Of course anytime is a good time to be in the woods. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3822 on: November 12, 2009, 10:13:24 am »
:) Of course anytime is a good time to be in the woods. :) :)
   Pappy

Got that right Pappy!!   Life is Good.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3823 on: November 13, 2009, 05:55:09 am »
Yes it is Josh,I went out yesterday,no deer but plenty of Turkey,them things are everwhere.
Friday again and I am headed down to the cabin as soon as I get off,can't wait.No big plans,
maybe a little work on my Yew stave and put some skins on Art's bow.It is coming along and want to get it to him soon,can't wait to see his face when he finds out the bow he has been testing for us in really his. :) ;D ;D that should be cool. I plan on hunting this evening and the Sat. morning Beau is coming down and we plan on moving some stands,I usually don't do that much during the year but for some reason this year is way different from most so I need some changes.Got a couple of good spots [I HOPE] picked out so we will see how that works out. Hope yall have a good one
also.See ya Monday.Life is good. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3824 on: November 13, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »
Good luck out there this weekend Pappy.