Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4670004 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #8745 on: January 23, 2013, 06:40:52 am »
You are welcome Guy,we had sunshine here but could hardly tell it,very cold for Tennessee.I did manage to get another coat of sealer on the snake skins I put on Gab's bow this weekend and also got my Persimmion floor tillered and ready for the form. Might do that today. :)  Calling for snow/sleet/freezing rain Friday.Winter in TN.  :o ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #8746 on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:20 am »
Sounds like fun Pappy I like the icy weather. My mom always said I shoulda been an eskimo or a yank. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8747 on: January 24, 2013, 06:02:12 am »
Eskimo  maybe  :-\ don't think you would make a very good Yank. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8748 on: January 24, 2013, 10:34:49 am »
It's been 6 below zero, here in Michigan the past few morning.  Brrrrrr.   :o
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8749 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:39 pm »
Cold here, too. 60 in the morning and 78 in the afternoon, Brrr.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8750 on: January 25, 2013, 05:51:03 am »
You ant right Eddie. ;) :) :) Freezing rain here this morning but it's Friday and I don't care as long as I can get home. :) Headed to the cabin with a few plans.I am still sealing the Snake skins I put on Gabe's bow and took my Persimmon off the form last evening,it it ready to start tillering. Also glued up scales on a new neck knife.We also have a demonstration to go to Saturday and wild game supper so we will be pretty busy. I got 2 new chain saws yesterday that I really want to try out and Lord knows we need the wood. I got a 20in and a 12 in. so I should be set for what ever comes along. Hope yall have a good one.See ya Monday. :) :)
Life is Good. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #8751 on: January 25, 2013, 09:54:09 am »
Oooooo.....new toys....what kind of saws pappy? Do tell....my chainsaw is getting lonely up here  :'(

TGIF!!!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8752 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:58 am »
I got a 600 Echo with a 20 inch bar/rated up to a 28 inch and a 310 Echo with a 12 inch bar rated up to 18. I have several other saw but it has gotton to where you can't get anything to repair them with and I just finely got feed up with trying,I do that about ever 10 years or so.I think I will like the big one,I have a couple of friends wit a 500 and 550 and they are cutting machines and I had another 12 inch for at least 10 years,Echo make a very good saw. I also got extra
chain for each so I should be good to go if I can keep it out of some of the guys hands at the club,they like to cut the dirt. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #8753 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:40 am »
Echos are making saws every bit as good as a sthil if not better imo,and at almost half the price....I have the big one too,and that things rips wood like no tomorrow..I've used mine side by side to the same version of a sthil and mine performed better in all aspects....that saw has ripped a lot of hedge and when you cut hedge you want the best...you know this ;) I love my echo.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8754 on: January 26, 2013, 12:53:34 pm »
Well we all have our own opinion so heres mine - I have a 1996 series Husqvarna that I use a 24in bar on and I do not know how many cords of wood it has cut. I can still get repair pieces for it and it is still a great work horse of a saw.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8755 on: January 26, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »
I am usually one to buy American products but I will admit that I have a Husqvarna  with a 18" bar and it is bad to the bone. Had it 10 years/ never tuned it up. Starts with in 3 pulls, every time. Can plunge in whole bar in and it does not slow down. Very happy with it except having to deal with the harassment from friends with sthil's!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8756 on: January 26, 2013, 01:35:14 pm »
Years ago I bought a Stihl 028 and cut many cords of hardwood with it over many years. I dropped a tree on it so I had to buy a newer Stihl 290. It cuts fine but if the gas you use in it is over 2 weeks old it can(and will) scorch the cylanders. I did it twice before I found out about the old gas. As far as I an concerned the newer Stihls are a piece of crap. I now use a big old Chraftsman(Poulan) with a 24" bar. I can use 5 year old gas and it starts(usually takes about 10 pulls) up and runs like a dream. The problem with this saw is it is so heavy. It is great for wood on the ground and will cut through a 18" to 24" log in no time, thanks to that weight.
  I don't use a chainsaw that often so the gas I have for it gets old. I try to only mix enough to get me through the task at hand but I live 10 miles from the nearest gas station and it isn't convenient to have go get fresh gas when I need to use my saw.
...so, life is good some of the time but frustrating others.  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8757 on: January 27, 2013, 08:15:58 am »
Cold here, too. 60 in the morning and 78 in the afternoon, Brrr.
..........really ...we will break 30 tomorrow for the first time in weeks lol. Going to spend sometime hunting with mullet next year lol.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8758 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48:54 am »
Husqvarna is a great saw also,I have a couple of friends with them. Echos are just easy to get parts for and the guy we buy from is very willing to help when needed and that is worth a lot to me. Great weekend,lots of fun with some bow/arrow and knife work thrown in.We also went to a good event Sat and I think all including us enjoyed it. Here are some pictures of the fun. ;) :) Supposed to be 70 here by mid week John. ;) ;D ;D then 30's for highs this weekend ,go figure,Tennessee weather. Had lots of Ice Friday.Not a good day for tillering a bow.I started on my Persimmon and every now and then when I would pull it some ice would fall off the trees and make that tic,about give you a heart attack. ;) ;D ;D Finely finished the skins on Gab's bow.My Persimmion on the form for some straighting and reflex added. My new saws. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8759 on: January 28, 2013, 06:53:47 am »
My new neck knife finished,turned out nice and very sharp.This was made out of one the last pieces of the 100 year old disk blade I found. Chuck with some of his knife and chopper projects. :) He stays about as busy as Will,I said almost. ;) ;D ;D
Ice on all the trees,at least it didn't break them down like it does sometimes here. :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good