Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4668071 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Life is good
« Reply #11640 on: December 15, 2014, 06:42:26 pm »
Pappy , can't wait to see a picture of that nice truck on Monday morning after the classic, Garbage Run :o, Have to agree with Jesse one of the pics on the big hide looks like ya missed some grain or hair stubble?  I have about 10 deer hides started and none finshed yet. Slowly cleaning out the fur freezer, skinned a couple of mink an found a couple snakes that needed skinned and one very pretty and stinky skunk, hoping to make a hat. Bob

Offline Mad Jack

« Reply #11641 on: December 15, 2014, 07:55:53 pm »
Pappy,
 you may remember me, may not, brought you some honey couple years back at the world shoot. Being a keeper myself I'd say it's something you'll never regret learning. I think everyone should have a hive, or two, or ten! I enjoy checking in with you guys, seeing what's going on at twin oaks, not much of a poster, may try and make the next classic.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11642 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:27 pm »
Hey Pappy, when we started getting out bees from Walter Kelley, we started getting better luck.  We chose his Russian variety because of their incredible ability to tough out our winters and come thru smiling!  Plus, they look so cute with the little fur hats with the red hammer and sickle.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11643 on: December 16, 2014, 05:10:38 am »
No I didn't forget Jesse/just maybe didn't do a very good job at it  ;) :) it has a little but not nearly as bad as the picture looks  :-\ [went back and looked at the picture] good to hear from you and also Bob. :) Thanks guys on the truck, I am really liking it so far and yes I gave her a big hug. ;) :) :) Mad Jack I remember you, hope you can make it to the Classic we are also hosting the Trad World again in 15 and 16 if all goes good. JW I have some friends that are into it pretty big and are going to help guide me through the process of getting started and also put a hive or 2 of theirs on the farm and help me keep check on mine. Looking forward to getting started. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11644 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:55 am »
Hey Pappy, when we started getting out bees from Walter Kelley, we started getting better luck.  We chose his Russian variety because of their incredible ability to tough out our winters and come thru smiling!  Plus, they look so cute with the little fur hats with the red hammer and sickle.
LOL.
Do you put a shot of vodka in the hive to see 'em through the winter? :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Mad Jack

« Reply #11645 on: December 16, 2014, 12:24:17 pm »
Pappy,

Just out of curiosity ,while enjoying your range at the last world shoot I noticed y'all have a few colonies of those huge jap yellow hornets. Was just wondering if ur bee keeping friends have any trouble out of them as I hear they can be pretty rough on a hive of honey bees.  When I'm in the woods I'm always lookin at hollow trees hopein to find colonies of bees, which makes me think here in Nw ark I haven't as yet seen those hornets here, the way I did there.

I'm sure if their a problem they have ways to combat them with entrance reducers etc.  just wondering.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11646 on: December 16, 2014, 01:27:24 pm »
Wow, great post Pap.  Congrats on the new truck.  I've been curious about keeping bees for years.  I love honey.  Angie makes an Arabic honey cake that doesn't really rise(family recipe) with homemade honey ice cream that is my favorite dessert of all time.  Trust me...that's sayin' something!!! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11647 on: December 16, 2014, 05:20:12 pm »
Pappy, just a little something to ponder, If you invest into the bee equipment make sure and put up a good electric fence, Black bears are mighty destructive and will show no respect for your equipment :o, We now have 13 less bears in our co. after the Season.  :D Bob

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11648 on: December 17, 2014, 04:52:05 am »
I will ask about the Hornet's  Mad Jack, I remember that year, they were pretty bad. Bob ,no bear's here and congrats on yall's very good season I hear. ;) :) :) Steve that sounds good to me also, maybe if I get this going she can pass it on to miss Joanie ;) in trade for a big hug. :) Sometimes folks are really funny about family recipe's. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11649 on: December 17, 2014, 09:22:24 am »
She'd be honored, I'm sure. :)
1’—>1’

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11650 on: December 17, 2014, 09:38:29 am »
There isn't much I wouldn't trade for a hug.  :D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11651 on: December 17, 2014, 11:22:09 am »
Miss Joanie loves giving them out ,just ask anyone that knows her. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11652 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:12 pm »
Pappy this bee keeping this is a lot of fun. I hope to have 6 hives running this year. JW had a great year this year. I did a lot of experimenting with splitting hives and raised a queen but really only raised bees and very little honey. Next will be great because the bees got a lot of work done for this year.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11653 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »
LOL.
Do you put a shot of vodka in the hive to see 'em through the winter? :laugh:
Del

They are busy distilling a rotgut from their mead. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11654 on: December 18, 2014, 06:46:02 am »
Thanks for the input, I am looking forward to giving it a try, I think they said we were going to get started in late Feb. Early March, I think the plane to start is they are going to split a hive with me, not sure maybe I will buy some bee's, either way they seem to know what they are doing so I will follow their lead. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good