Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4670925 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Life is good
« Reply #14070 on: October 31, 2016, 09:51:54 am »
Plenty to do in this heat! Youth hunt did not pan out well up my way. Deer just to far away for a good clean kill shot on Sunday. We shot LBL on Sat. Saw Randy Grider from KTBA there. He was heading to camp and hunt LBL.

Cut some more bow wood. Found some pretty good Hop up on a bluff and edge of limestone drainage. Get some bow time in before these Bangstick's start making smoke come this Sat. Think if it stays warm and these smokepoles start in on them these bigger deer are going stay feeding and breeding completely at night? Time shall tell.

87 degrees in Clarksville this week?????????????????
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14071 on: October 31, 2016, 11:09:44 am »
Ya it is supposed to cool off by the weekend and next week looks pretty good, I'll be off next week. ;) :)I do like the south wind for a new stand I put up Friday, just don't like the heat that south wind brings with it. ;) :) It is supposed to shift to North NW by Thursday evening and through the weekend so that will for sure bring cooler weather. Just in time for them smoke pole boys. ::)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #14072 on: October 31, 2016, 12:41:54 pm »
Pappy, could you post a close-up of the vice that Linda and Bill are using. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14073 on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:34 pm »
Pappy, could you post a close-up of the vice that Linda and Bill are using. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

Looks to be a pipe vice DC i gave one that is slightly differant
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14074 on: October 31, 2016, 03:52:35 pm »
I will DC, bubby is correct , it is an old pipe vice, mounted very ridiged. We mainly us it for debarment and chasing rings. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #14075 on: October 31, 2016, 04:30:24 pm »
I did a search for pipe vises and now I see what they look like. They look like the prototype for the stavemaster ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14076 on: November 01, 2016, 04:31:32 am »
Never thought of that DC but I think you are right, I bought this at a disturber we bought out, had it in the back shop area mounted on a truck frame rail. Guess they use to do some old style plumbing work.
I have a big thick leather pad I put between the stave and the vice jaws. Works great and will really hold a stave tight.  ;) I have 2 more smaller ones, just haven't mounted them anywhere yet.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #14077 on: November 01, 2016, 12:12:52 pm »
Thanks Pappy. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. A guy could weld in some less vicious jaws.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14078 on: November 02, 2016, 04:53:47 am »
Yes I guess you could DC. Done a little scouting yesterday[to hot to hunt 87 yesterday] in an area I haven't hunted in a few years, it is the area Beau's buck died last year, looked good then so I decided to go look at it this year. Man it is worn out with white oks/red oak acorns and buck sign so I put up another stand and hope to be in it this weekend. I have Eddie /Chris/Shane/Dave and probably Beau coming in for a few day on Friday so I need plenty of stands up. ;) :) :) Also started another knife, this one will have Elk horn scales, I think they will look good. We will see. :-\ We set an all time record high for November yesterday and supposed to set another today, then rain Thursday and supposed to cool off a bit. I sure hope so, really not use to this in November. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14079 on: November 02, 2016, 06:11:58 am »
It was almost 80 degrees here in Mid-Michigan yesterday and windy - got some grass-leafs mowed. Did see a Buck chasin' just before dark (from My deck  :() Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14080 on: November 02, 2016, 06:55:02 am »
Ya I talked to,  I affectionately call  Damn Yankee 1 [Bob Douglas] good friend of mine in Mid MI. yesterday and he said it was 78 and set a record there also, guess it's hot everywhere. :) Ya I got more leaves and pine needles to blow today, thank goodness the mowing is over for the year, We had NO rain in October and none yet in November, so to say it is dry here would be an understatement.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14081 on: November 03, 2016, 04:58:52 am »
Supposed to have a little raid today and cool off a bit, I plan on trying to hunt this evening, it is the best time of year for sure but has just been to hot to enjoy, hope this weather hold out for next week while my buddy's are in to hunt, if not I am sure we will have a good time just the same. Jimmy sent me an email yesterday, he back into the good spot he had at Fort Campbell and will be hunting theses bad boys this weekend. ;) :) :) :) I am sure we have some like this around my place, but not as plentiful as they do at Fort Campbell. :) Good luck Jimmy, shoot straight. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #14082 on: November 03, 2016, 10:21:33 am »
Wow, those are nice looking fellas.  I just bought a game camera.  I'm going to set it up this weekend where I know there are some heavy runners.  Hopefully, I'll catch some pics.  Wouldn't mind having an opportunities with the bow, either.  :)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14083 on: November 03, 2016, 10:26:51 am »
Good luck Matt.  I hope you get pictures of them on the hoof and on the ground. 

Those are some nice bucks Pappy. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14084 on: November 04, 2016, 04:46:57 am »
Shoot straight Matt. ;) Ya Clint he will be in the stand this morning hoping to catch one of these come through. Friday and I am headed to the cabin as soon as I can get away from here, I am off all next week and got Eddie[Mullet] on the road now headed this way, also Dave[Otis] and Chris and Shane my gator hunting buddies from FL. be in tonight. Beau is already there and hunting this morning so it should be a fun week. Eddie is bringing Rabbit/Chris is bringing lots of Ocean fish he catches , Dave is bringing Stuffed peppers and Chicken roll ups and I have venison backs strap and inner loin marinating now so if nothing else we should eat good. The weather is supposed to be good, not near as cold as I would like but it will just have to work. Lots of buck sign right now and it's that time of years so the hunting should be good. I hope to get a little time in the shop but taking care of this bunch is a full time job  :o so not sure if I will or not, but for sure some time around the fire. Hope yall have a good week. see ya on the 14th. ;) :) :) Life is Good.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good