Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4633936 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #14190 on: December 05, 2016, 04:45:38 am »
Hide fleshed and in the rack, he done a pretty good job fleshing, only 1 hole caused from his fleshing, like I told it is a learning curve on fleshing but after a few you get the hang  of it. Over all not to bad. 1 of the scout leaders came over Saturday to do a little knife work, he got it looking pretty good before he left. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14191 on: December 05, 2016, 04:47:57 am »
Some relaxing around the fire and the spout and end plug fitted in my new horn. Then supper started, Chicken over the fire. Yum. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14192 on: December 05, 2016, 04:51:12 am »
Andrew getting some ring chasing lessons from Bill, Andrew caught on pretty quick. ;) Brats adder to the supper menu, we had a great time for sure, getting colder so that makes time around the fire even better. That's it for this week. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14193 on: December 05, 2016, 01:14:19 pm »
Looking good Pap.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14194 on: December 06, 2016, 04:48:04 am »
Andrew ant going to be happy, >:(I got to the cabin yesterday and something had got a hold of his hided and ripped it almost in half, not sure if it was a coon/yote/ opossum but something. I leave them out all the time and have had as many as 5 or 6 racked at the same time and have never had a problem, well can't say that anymore. ??? May have to rethink where I keep the racks when I ant there. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14195 on: December 06, 2016, 07:50:18 am »
Wow Pappy,I'm really surprised anything could rip it. That is a bummer I'm sure Andrew had a lot of elbow grease in it already and was looking forward to the next steps. My guess would be canine
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14196 on: December 06, 2016, 08:00:20 am »
Ya he had a little time in it, I got plenty of hides in that part of the process so I will just give him one of mine and he can go from there. Don't be surprised, they are very easy to rip when they are in the rawhide form,they will rip like paper especially if you catch one of the holes and even more if it is a young deer with thinner hide. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14197 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:50 am »
Thanks for the heads up Pappy. I'm sure Andrew will be happy with the end results. Hopefully it wasn't a real sentimental hide.
Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14198 on: December 08, 2016, 04:29:44 am »
Fixing to get cold here, highs in the low 30's tomorrow and teens at night, about time winter got here. ;)
I got the pugs fitted on both ends and roughed out on my new powder horn yesterday and also about 50 arrows shot through my new Osage bow, it held everything nicely so I think it is ready for some writing and finishing up. It shoots well and I may try to hunt with it some during Christmas while I am off, if I can get the finish smell off of it. ;) :) :) The second rut should be kicking off in a week or so , so I hope to get a chance for another deer or 2 for Brats before the season ends on the 1st. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14199 on: December 08, 2016, 07:03:28 am »
Pappy:  You are right about hides being easy to lose at certain stages of the process.  Lost a bear hide a couple of years ago.  It is winter here 22 below this morning with a foot of snow and we have to go to town for a Dr.'s appointment!  Still have a cow elk tag and this weather has brought the elk down country.  Big herds makes for different kind of hunting.  Difficult to be selective when so many eyes are watching.  Been busy working on a couple of ceremonial pipes so keeps me busy inside.  Hello to your wonderful wife!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14200 on: December 08, 2016, 08:20:25 am »
Looks like Winter finally got here too, Pappy. The leaves started falling off the Osage and maple last week and it will be in the upper 30's this weekend. Then back in the 80's Monday :), and Summer again.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14201 on: December 08, 2016, 09:58:20 am »
Pappy, got any young bears in your part of the country? They have expanded into our part of Penna. and are a big nuisance, seem to get into everything, Humming bird feeders and bird feeders don't stand a chance. They killed 19 in our small county in a 4 day season. I had a sow with cubs just off the yard this summer, she had a little tude, guess I need to start packin and keep my hides picked up a little better . We have anywhere from 8" to 2 ' of snow comin so that will take care of the bears for awhile.  :o ;D ;D Next will be dang snowsnakes :o  Just plain nasty :laugh: :laugh: Bob
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:04:16 am by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14202 on: December 08, 2016, 10:55:57 am »
No bears yet Bob around here, there are plenty East and that big fire may run them our way. Got hogs also east and west but not right in the middle yet, also armadillo have showed up in Middle TN. now so I am sure the other critters will be here soon enough. Plenty of Turkey and deer, that's enough wild big game for me. ;) Stay warm Bob/Joe/Eddie. ;) Joe & Bob are use to it but Eddie ant. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14203 on: December 09, 2016, 04:30:57 am »
FRIDAY, I can't go straight to the cabin today, Beau's wife, Sweet Christina is getting her Masters today at 2pm ,congrats to her, we are very proud of you, so dad has to be there for that,!!!! then headed to the cabin for the weekend of Hunting and probably some shop work. Also have a couple of deer to skin an work up that was given to me yesterday for the Der slayer him self, Jimmy Blackmon. ;) :) I can always use the meat and eau and I plan on some Brats out f these.Yum Yum. This was Jimmy's 12th and 13th Der of the season, nice doe and 8 point and the season ant over yet. Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14204 on: December 09, 2016, 07:35:08 am »
Congratulations to Christina, may she now enjoy the fruits of all her hard work.
Looks like Jimmy is going for both quality and quantity there Pappy. That's  a couple dandy bucks he harvested along with those doe. It's getting winter here now temps aren't supposed to get out of the 20's for highs next week and with a little less hunting pressure the deer might start to come out again. I'm still hoping to get a good hunt or two in with my bow yet if the wind dies down but I'm giving them some time off first. Have a good weekend Pappy looking forward to seeing your report on Monday
Bjrogg