Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4633367 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16890 on: October 14, 2019, 05:27:04 pm »
Nice one Shawn but sure is a small bodied deer.  (A)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16891 on: October 14, 2019, 08:32:55 pm »
Nice one Shawn but sure is a small bodied deer.  (A)

I didn't think they had chronic wasting disease that far east!  ha ha ha
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16892 on: October 14, 2019, 08:34:04 pm »
Pappy, this is a fun thread.  Hunting is mostly a solitary pursuit out here.  Your way of doing it seems like a whole different world, and it sounds like a whole lot of fun.  THanks for sharing it.
Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16893 on: October 15, 2019, 05:35:59 am »
You are welcome WB,glad you enjoy. Like I said it is a personal thing with us also, we just tend to gather after the hunt and share the adventure. Here is a couple more pictures of my buddies. Shawn's buck, the whole thing, ;) :) Marty's nice Buck, he is a passed President of TwinOaks and very close friend. He had gotten out of shooting for a while and I am very glad he has come back. :) GregB's coyote , all killed with xxx Recurve and long bow except Shawn's, it was with his Osage. I am headed out to the wood, hope it is more fruitful than yesterday. Seen 1 doe all day and she didn't want to come in and play. O well maybe today. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16894 on: October 16, 2019, 02:12:54 am »
Nice Buck, and one less Fawn Eater  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16895 on: October 20, 2019, 04:58:24 pm »
Great weekend with friends and family. Had Beau over Thursday to hunt Friday and Jesse was down also. Him and I have already started on some hide work,kind of early for me to start but with Jesse around it just kind of come natural. Few pictures of the fun. Nice fire started and then Jesse and I worked on splitting some wood and a fresh hide [J man the boy that youth hunted on my place from 8 years till he was 16 last year]. This was his second deer with a bow and they didn't want the hide so Jesse and I skinned /fleshed and put it on the rack. ;) Nice doe. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16896 on: October 20, 2019, 05:00:22 pm »
The girls love this time of year. Hide on the rack and then a nice peaceful supper of back strap with Beau and Jesse. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16897 on: October 20, 2019, 05:03:16 pm »
Nice night around the fire for me with my boys and girls. :) Then Friday morning Beau killed a nice 131 lb 8 point, we let Sister track it, she done great. It only ran about 80 yards. Then while it was still warm we skinned, boned it out and fleshed and racked the hide. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16898 on: October 20, 2019, 05:05:49 pm »
2 hides on the rack and ready to dry scrape as soon as they dry some. Also had a good club meeting Saturday morning , it was good to see the guys and hear the stories about how their season was going. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16899 on: October 21, 2019, 02:48:02 am »
Thanks Pappy  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16900 on: October 21, 2019, 07:18:13 am »
Pappy, Hides look great, I can tell right away hide tanners skinned deer, nice and square on the front legs, You and Jesse did a great job on framing hides, nice and square. I just finished up this weekend graining 2 hides that I got last week, First 2 for the year and wet scrape graining about whipped my shoulders. :o Bob

Offline GlennM

« Reply #16901 on: October 21, 2019, 08:55:02 am »
Nice deer, Beau! Good shooting.  Life has gotten in the way up here a bit, so I have done very little hunting so far.  I'm free to hunt the rest of the weekends in the fall.  I hope the deer gods look favorably on me.

Glenn

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16902 on: October 21, 2019, 04:32:42 pm »
Nice deer!  Do you tan with the hair on, or off?  Muleys are no good hair on (the hair is so brittle it breaks off and sheds continuously) but they make really nice leather.  What kind of tanning method do you use?  It's something I'd like to learn someday.

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16903 on: October 22, 2019, 04:52:00 am »
We do them hair off WB, brain tanning is the method we use. Thanks Bob, ya I like them square on the rack also, don't think it makes a lot of difference in the long run but sure looks better, also like to skin and flesh the ones I plan on tanning and do it while they are still warn if possible.
Sure make the fleshing and skinning easier. Headed out this morning to see if I can fine a dumb one, really struggled this year getting a shot, seen lots of deer close up but just can seem to put all the hundreds of little thing together that is take to get it done, maybe today. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16904 on: October 25, 2019, 05:19:15 am »
Well it's Friday and headed to the cabin in a bit. I may hunt a little while late morning before the rain comes in, they are calling for 3 to 4 inches over the next couple of days starting this evening. Youth hunt weekend so can't hunt Saturday or Sunday anyway. Planning on doing some hide work and got a deer to process for my son so will stay busy, also maybe a little shooting, I need that, shot over the back of 2 yesterday so probably need to work on my shooting. ???  Not sure the problem but been here before and all you can do in quite [which I ant going to do ;) our get back on that horse and ride. Hope yall have a great weekend also. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good