Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4668042 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18180 on: May 28, 2021, 08:24:36 am »
I hear ya ED, patients is the key and i have gotten better at that over the years. Lots of way to get it done but as in bow making their are a few rules that have to be followed. Headed down to the cabin in a short while, rain today so I will see what I can do under the shed with my hide , may have to wait until tomorrow, :-\  it is supposed to be beautiful the next few days. I have other things to do anyway so I feel sure i will stay busy. ;) Hope yall have a great Memorial Day , remember what it is for and those  that have been lost over the years ,so we can do what we do, very much honored and appreciated. Life is Good. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18181 on: May 30, 2021, 05:32:34 pm »
Great weekend, kind of cool and rainy but still a good time and got lots done. Few pictures. Got the grip finished for the Osage I Am making for a lady friend, I ant the best with leather work but it turned out OK. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18182 on: May 30, 2021, 05:36:59 pm »
Got the striker plate on and shot about 50 shots, still hold 1 inch reflex and 34@25, pretty close to what she wanted, ask for 30@25 so I think this will be fine when it really gets shot in good. :) Hope she likes it and it shoot well for her. Also got another nice hide going, kind of wet for drying but I worked through that pretty good.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18183 on: May 30, 2021, 05:39:06 pm »
My girls just hanging out, out of the rain. Got my hide soaked 3 times, went back over it with a scraper and pre smoked, looking pretty good at this point.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18184 on: May 30, 2021, 05:43:24 pm »
Shawn and I Went out early Saturday morning and pulled some stands, 8 down and 5 more to go. I know it is late for that but I been a little busy. ;) :) :) ::) Some said man it's time to be putting up not taking down, but these have been up a couple of years and really needed to be taken down and checked out. ;)Got one of the guys in the club [Bucky] new bow floor tillered and on the form, he is doing most of the work with a little guidance for us. ;) Jesse showed up to do some hide work, he also gifted me a blade he had just made. I went right to work halting it.  :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:55:39 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18185 on: May 30, 2021, 05:45:02 pm »
 Blade finished, deer antler/pine pitch glue and wrapped with back strap sinew.Just some hanging out by the fire, it felt good Saturday. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18186 on: May 30, 2021, 05:48:11 pm »
 My hide just hanging close to the fire and smoke to help in the drying. Jesse putting the final smoking on his last hide. I hung mine around his while he was smoking just to help with the drying and of course give it a good smell. :)
Pappy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:59:21 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18187 on: May 30, 2021, 05:52:43 pm »
My hide 90% dry, still a little damp around the neck and hind 1/4 ,turning out really soft,so back in the freezer to finish this week I hope. ??? Then just some hanging out and shooting.  :) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is good. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18188 on: June 02, 2021, 04:46:17 am »
Those Hides are lookin' GOOD. Thanks Pappy  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #18189 on: June 03, 2021, 12:59:15 am »
Those Hides are lookin' GOOD. Thanks Pappy  (=) ! Bob

X2! You done a fine job pappy!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18190 on: June 03, 2021, 08:36:49 am »
Thanks Bob/Patrick. I was planning on this being my last for the year but kind of in the mood so may do another in the next few days, got the bow I was working on all finished except several coats of Tru oil and started another for myself, also stii got 7 or 8 hours of bush hogging to get done in the next few days but tanning a hide for me requires a lot of waiting time especially in the beginning so may just put one in the brains today. :-\ Bad storm last night so need to check and see if I got any damage, that may change my plans. ??? :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18191 on: June 03, 2021, 10:49:40 am »
Those hides do look great, Pappy.  Cool pictures.  Also, that blade that Jesse did and your finish work...NICE! 
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18192 on: June 04, 2021, 08:09:57 am »
Thanks Steve, headed down in a little while. Planning on bush hogging some more today and also finish up the lady friends bow. I also put another hide in the soak yesterday, guess I am a glutton for punishment  ;) :) :) just been in the mood , so while I am in the mood just well get another one done. It is fixing to get to hot and muggy and also got some things going on with the Club that will take a lot of my time [ IBO Traditional world in mid July } lot of work and time to pull that off. Need to get some of my projects out of the way and the weather looks to be great over the weekend. Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. :) ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18193 on: June 04, 2021, 09:39:05 am »
Good looking hides Pappy."NOTHING LIKE BRAIN TANNED LEATHER"......Like your smoking set up too.It can take a while to empty out a freezer from accumulated hides but once a person is on a roll might as well keep going.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18194 on: June 07, 2021, 07:28:15 am »
Ya I love doing them for sure. Great weekend,I made some head way on the hide I put in soak Thursday, got it almost dry but got tired and it is in the freezer now, hope to get it finished and smoked this week. Did get almost all my bush hogging done and the bow I been working on finished !!!  Got to go to doc this morning early so I will have some pictures of the fun weekend later in the week. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good