Author Topic: Shafts at Home Depot  (Read 9765 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Shafts at Home Depot
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:18 am »
Where do you look at Home Depot to find the bamboo shafts. Trying to get into the bow making and arrow making. Also where can I find the BB books? Thanks for answering my questions guys. I build custom fishing rods so I do have the Patience to try this ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline aero86

Re: Shafts at Home Depot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:26:56 am »
where i get mine is in the back of the garden center.  mine is by the pool chemicals.  there is two lengths  5 and 6 foot. be selective about what packages you get.  i got a package last night of 6 foot and ended up with 5 arrows 29 inches long.  some were too thin, some were too thick, but i had pretty good luck, i got 5 arrows out of 6 shoots.  but like i said, be choosy.  look through and find the size you want, and check straightness while your there.  once you go bamboo(cane) youll never go back!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:11 am »
Here's a link to Horsefeathers Ranch, PA's sister site they have the Bowyers Bible series plus lots more :)

http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/archery.htm
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:37:57 pm »
  Aero Thanks I went to HD today between calls and found them. I got them b4 I read you post :-[ But since I don't know what I'm doing yet, :-[ I reckon I'll just stock up.

DanaM That is the web site I need. All I have to do now is talk my wife into getting the BB for Valentines day.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:02:18 pm »
I was just at Michael's (craft chain store) and was impressed with the quality of the bamboo I saw there.  Much more consistent than what I saw at HD.  Pricey though.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 09:14:30 pm »
yeah, home depot is the way to go if your not going to make to many.  its like 5 dollars and some change for two packages of the 6 foot stuff.  if you work it right you could get between 6-12 arrows, if you dont break any, like i tend to do.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:46 pm »
Howdy Hillbilly, aero86 and Group (again),

So, you go to HD and get  bunch of 6' boo shafts, and you go through that bunch to find the "right size."  How do I find that "right size?"  I mean, do I use a sort of gauge?  If so, what size is the "right size" / diameter of boo shaft?

Thanks,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:30:15 pm »
Canoe, I get mine shafts from Lowe's.  They have them in like 4 ft sections and sold individualy for around a buck.  I look for 3/8" at the nock end, no more than 3 nodes per arrow length and straight as possible.  Also, I looked them over for cracks and cuts around the nodes.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 12:04:56 am »
I get mine at Lowe's too.  I like being able to pick them out individually and to be able to inspect each shaft before I buy them... I just bought 12 of them and it cost me a whopping 11.96 with tax... cant beat it! Also the guy in the garden center took an interest into why i was being so picky about my tomato stakes (by the time he came over I had half the stack divided up and propped in different piles against the wall)  When I told him what I was REALLY gonna do with the "tomato stakes"  he thought it was cool as all get out and told me he would call me when a new batch came in... How sweet is that?    :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:40:04 am »
Do like they say, but id get a batch from home depot first that way u have a bunch to practice on.  Especially when straightening nodes.  You gotta learn how much you can bend at a time, and that takes breaking a few.  I know I've snapped a few that I was working on the last node.  Then when you think you've got it, go be picky at lowes

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:34 am »
Thanks guys. I have 1 1/2 dozen shafts now. All from HD. I hope that is enough to practice with :) If not I reckon I'll go back and get some more :-\ By then our first trad shoot will be here and I can ask a real pro :) I'm going to try to straighten a few tomarrow after gluing the handle on my first board bow.

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 11:13:04 am »
Try watchin that video I posted.  It might help a bit if u can tell what I'm doing!  At the end I explain my process

Offline riarcher

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 02:00:40 pm »
Billy-
Suggest you start right off hard.
Begin straightening with the most God awful crookedest piece you've got.
Then you know fer sure, it only gets easier from there.  ;)
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 05:12:50 pm »
  riarcher-- Now that sounds like a good idea.I looked at them and started to pick the best one to try :-\ but if I do what you suggest I'll be able to see progress better ;D

earo86 I like that idea too, but with dial-up it takes fooorrreevveeerrrr to download a video :(

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:34:53 pm »
Howdy Group,

Hedge apple, you said, "look for 3/8" at the nock end..."  So, is the nock end the smaller end, so the other end will be over 3/8"? 
Thanks, I'll be heading over to HD or Lowe's real soon to get me started in boo arrows -  Thanks again guys.  Ya, I'm really excited about making more of my own arrows.  Next, I'll be lookin' to do some flint knapping.

Hillbilly, good luck on that first board bow.  I love board bows - quality huntin' weapons ;)  I made one for my buddy, he took it hunting this past year, and he loves shooting the thing. 
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey