Author Topic: Sinews for arrow making.  (Read 2278 times)

batman

Sinews for arrow making.
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:14:53 am »
Hi lads and ladies im new to this site and thought i ask a question just to get introduced.

Can you get sinews from butchers or anywhere of that nature as i have no real access to hunting deer (legally!) i usually make do with man made cordage for my arrows but i would much prefer the proper fletching stuff!

Any replies would be appreciated ;D.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinews for arrow making.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:13 am »
Any sinew will work but I have heard that domestic cow leg sinew is greasy and hard to separate. Maybe goat or sheep will work better. The back strap sinew(silver skin) is the best for wraps because of it's length. Most butchers discard this when processing the meat. Ask your local butcher to save some for you and give it a try.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm »
kustomkingarchery.com and 3riversarchery.com both sell deer back and leg sinew.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:30:30 pm »
Sometimes your local deer processor will let you raid the dumpster for deer legs.  You can then cut the tendons out and dry the sinew yourself.  Lots of labor but they are FREE.

As an alternative to sinew, you can use plant fibers for wrapping your fletching.  If you live in the desert (like me) you can harvest agave plants and remove the fibers.  Or you can buy SISAL TWINE at the hardware store (or Wally Mart) and unravel the twine to get the individual fibers.  They are strong and very authentic.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr