Author Topic: Quiver issues  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Quiver issues
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:59:00 pm »
 I've been through just about every type of quiver, except a plains style, and a leather back quiver. Can't find a thing that i like >:( . I got a real soft leather back quiver, but its only 19" long. For ground hunting, what kind of quiver do you guys use with your selfbows? ??? I'm really getting down on this quiver thing. >:(

Offline Kegan

Re: Quiver issues
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »
First, I'd suggest a slightly stiffer back quiver. Soft and small back quivers are a real pain. I use deer rawhide, and it's fast becoming the only type I really use. Fast on the draw and capable of holding any number of arrows comfortably out of the way. I've tried hip, side, home made bow, etc. I'm still playing with one last home made bow quiver for an ambush bow, but I'm a die-hard back quiver afficionado :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »
Kegan. Thats a nice looking quiver. I do like the Catquiver mini, but on early season when temps are warmer, i've noticed that i've had bowed wood shafts occasionally. Must be the pressure on the arrows while in the mini quiver. What length of back quiver do you recommend?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:14:49 pm »
I have been through every type of quiver probably like everyone else. No one quiver is good for all situations. For target and 3D shoots I like a side stalker style and for hunting I prefer a GFA style. I've never liked back quivers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:08:40 pm »
 For hunting! the plains style quiver is in my opinion the only way to go, quiet, easy to get an arrow out and they don't hang up in the brush.. Just make sure your strap is long enough for the quiver to ride right on the hip at the small of your back. good luck..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »
What length of back quiver do you recommend?

22" is a good start, with most of mine being about 24". Shorter and they stick way too far over your shoulder and catch EVERYTHING.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:30:16 pm »
I've used a plains quiver for a while, and it's my favorite style. I've tried back, side, stalker and such, but the plains is very functional and authentic to boot.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:49:35 pm »
 I've seen a couple build alongs for the plains style. What material could a guy try, that is cheap, just to see if i like them? ;D Also, what do you put in the bottom for broadheads?

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:35:41 pm »
Well, truth be told... for hunting I prefer a bow quiver. I have one of the 2 piece ones with rubber straps, that wrap around the limbs. It really only works for flatter limbed bows. It holds 4 arrows, is very quiet, and everything is handy.

For target shooting, I like a side quiver.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:22:00 am »
I don't know of ANY historical evidence of the back quiver being used BEFORE Hollywood's first Robin Hood movie (might be wrong and would love to learn about it...!)
But nonetheless, if the back quiver FITS WELL it's very handy and will NOT get stuck to anything in the brush, and if it's FUR LINED (mouth and buttom) it'll be as quiet as a side/,plains quiver and in most likely the better choice for a longer walk! Althat being my opinion, don't know whether that's for ererybody...
I do the bottoms with the thickest wildboar hair on hide; I'm sure that will resist the sharpest broadheads for a looooooooong time...

Frank from Germany...

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 07:05:02 am »
I like the stalker and the plains style best.

@Pat
...and what ist a GFA style??

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 10:46:08 am »
this is my plains style quiver that i have i just made it a few weeks ago it was my first quiver build i still need to make afew tweeks to it but i love how it works

"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 11:49:52 am »
Andrew, the GFA style was popularized by G. Fred Asbel. It is a rigid broadhead hood and an arrow grabber attached with a slat of wood and slung over the shoulder like a side stalker type.  I would post pics but Photobucket has a bug so I don't want to risk opening it. If I can find pics in "my pictures" on my computer I will post some.
  I made mine from an old Selway bow quiver. I liked the bow quiver on my glass bows but not on my selfbows. I disassembled the bow quiver and attached the hood and arrow grabber to a slat of ash with a shoulder strap attached. It is great for hunting because it keeps the arrows separate and quiet and can be pulled around my back when slipping through the woods to prevent the arrows from getting hung up. Not very primitive but very effective for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 12:02:00 pm »
Ok I think I have it ;)

May be you could make a primitive Version out of a big dried fungus (the sort you can use for firemaking "Zunderschwamm" it is called in german an i don't know the american word) for the broadheads, a sapling and a leather arrow grabber. At least a leather strap - ready ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 12:10:39 pm »
I like the side-stalker types best. Don't get in your way, and easy to grab an arrow from without a bunch of movement.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.