Author Topic: glass "pebbles"  (Read 4734 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

glass "pebbles"
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:37:10 am »
Has anybody tried knapping points from these decorative glass pebbles you can get at the dollar store or craft shop?  Any reason not to?  Would it be ok to use a point made from this for deer hunting?  Need to start learning some knapping, and I think this might be my best source of raw material.

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline medicinewheel

Re: glass "pebbles"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:32:11 am »
... Would it be ok to use a point made from this for deer hunting?  ...

Well, the deer might be p..... anyway when you shoot a hole into him.  ;D ;D ;D

I (still) don't knap, but I keep inspecting your guys doings over here, and some of the points I have seen that I liked the most where knapped from glass!

PS: Obsidian is volcanic glass, isn't it!?
Frank from Germany...

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:01 am »
idk about what your talkin about but glass makes some really nice really sharp points. i strongly suggest getting ahold of an old tv or computer screen or some kind of square alcohol bottles. they work really well.  ;D

im not a verry good knapper, but because of that i have spent alot of time on glass lol.  ::)

lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:29 am »
i know the glass bobbles your talking about
the only problem i see is the size of them.
about the time you get them worked down there wont be enough size to them to get a point
that would be considered legal in most states.even though the ancients used small(by modern standards)points for large game
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
Yeah, those would be knappable, but too small to get usable hunting points from.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:30 pm »
If I see an old T.V. at the dumpster it's mine they have really thick screens that are good for knapping and I don't have to buy them. I also grabbed a computer monitor that I'm gonna check out.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:50:54 pm »
Make sure if you knap any tubes you wear a mask ..the silica will cause cancer and or respiratory problems.....

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:05:30 pm »
Yep that would be true with just about any knapping material.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:20:56 pm »
I tried knapping those same items and they are all right its hard to get even a decent little point from them. I would tell you to try glass from bottles.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 02:48:34 pm »
I guess the problem is it's hard to set up platforms on the round corners?  They're mostly 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" across, so there's a decent-sized point in there if one could liberate it.  What about a tile nipper? does that work for cutting out a triangle?  Anybody tried it?  Appreciate all the input so far guys!  You're a generous bunch.  I too have been watching flintknapping with interest without taking the plunge.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »
I only see two problems with those.

One is that the glass isn't the best quality.
              and
Two is than you want a "sharp" edge to hit for the best flake and those are almost round.

I would suggest that you either "punch" the edge with a thick tip antler tine struck with a hammmerstone.

Or try to split it with a good hard stike to the centerline. ;)

If ya get a point out of it please post a pic! I hope it works,good luck! ;D
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 05:38:38 pm »
You need to start with a much bigger piece than the final point size. I make most of my hunting points in the 2 1/2" long by 1" wide range. to get one of those I usually start with a rough spall the size of the palm of your hand. The bottom of a beer bottle will make a decent point.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:50 pm »
HEy Zen,

Yeah, those should work.  They look to have bubbles in the glass, and that might pose some problems, but I don't think it would be enough to keep you from making a point out of it.  Start chipping that stuff and show us your results!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 02:08:50 am »
   I`ve tried those things & all I can say is good luck getting a platform to start from.  I even tried a tile saw to get a square edge for starting,
unfortunately the saw makes chips all along the cut line that are hard to get past.  Look around your area & find a glass shop where they cut
glass for windows in commercial buildings.  Most of that will be 1/4" to 3/8" thick and is very easy to cut with a normal glass cutter.
  I hit my local glass shop & they agreed to save me a few pieces of scrap to try out, no charge since they throw "drops" in the dumpster
anyway so it`s just wasted if no one can think of a use for it.  After I got used to pressure flaking from a square edge (gets a nice flake
pattern to start with) it was easy to thin & shape for points &/or blades.
   If you try bottles (beer bottles work good) get large bottles to start with, like a 32 or 40 oz.  The bottoms are plenty thick enough to
get your convexity & will make nice hunting points.  Be sure that you have some decent safety glasses if you don`t wear glasses.  Glass shards
sometimes fly where you don`t think they will & 1 in the eye will stop ya quick.  Also, as has been mentioned, ventilation is a must. I use a small box
fan on low blowing across my knapping area in the basement.  Mine blows from slightly behind me from right to left.  The breeze should keep the silica
 dust out of your lungs (I hope anyway).
   After I made a few points I gave them to the employees of the glass shop & made some new friends.  They even call me if they don`t hear from me
for a couple weeks to see what`s up...  that`s when you gotta watch out though, they like nice sharp pointy things.  Last time I was there they sent me
away with enough glass to keep me busy for a month & the stockpile grows faster than you can knap at times.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 02:11:11 am »
Here are a couple I remembered to get pics of

[attachment deleted by admin]
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.