Author Topic: 2 of my bunch  (Read 3648 times)

Offline aero86

2 of my bunch
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:32:20 pm »
so, ive post a bunch of my arrows within the last couple of weeks.  ive had two up here at work with me, just shooting them, and they mostly hit the ground when ive tried to hit my targets!  haha.  anyways, they have held up decent, except for the sealer i used on the rear wrappings.  i dont know if anyone has any other ideas, but you can see how in one of the pics how the rear of the feather has pulled out.  these have been shot about 30-40 times.  the heads are just nails with weld on the head, and ground down.  cleaned out the shaft of the bamboo with a drill bit, wallowed out with a knife a bit, pushed the point mostly in, then put a bit of hot glue underneath the head, then quickly pushed it in.  i havent wrapped them either.  ive yet to have any split problems.  ive shot a rotten board it went through it and shot a solid board and it bounced right of.  i feel confident that they would hold up through more shooting.

maybe you can see the straightness of them.  the one on the left was the one i shot at the boards.  the one on the right is bent a bit at the first node.  they just need some minor straightening.

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline recurve shooter

Re: 2 of my bunch
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »
thats wierd. super glue? lol idk. im not an much of an arrowmaker. yall would laugh ifin ya seen mine.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:34 pm »
i think what ill do, is once ive got a few wraps around the vanes, ill lift them up, and put some superglue under them, then wrap them the rest of the way.  and then seal it
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:09:43 am »
super glue works good. im tryin more and more to not use it; just sinew. but when i dont have sinew i use superglue
Modern Day Tramp

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:56:45 am »
yeah, i dont use sinew, so ive gotta use something! haha

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »
I have had that trouble before I now sand them good to get the finish off the cain and they seem to hold much better. Nice looking arrows. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:52:31 pm »
good idea pappy.  makes sense.  i was leaving the natural finish on, but if i gotta refinish anyways, might as well.  good on ya!  and thanks for the compliment!

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:58:14 am »
lost one of them.  hit the top of my target, skimmed off and skipped under the grass, somewhere.  cant find it!  but pretty decent i think

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:59:38 pm »
Howdy Aero86 and group,

Hey!!  I went to the BigBox store (HD) today, and I found 6' boo garden stakes in packs of six. 

So, once I got home I pulled one out, cut it in half and then gave straightening a try.  I used a small oil lamp as heat - (I pulled the wick out a bit and it produced plenty of heat.)  Anyway, I got the two pieces much straighter than when I started.  They're not perfect yet, but I worked on them only about a half hour.  (Then the wife smelled smoke...  I won't be straightening boo inside the house any more.) ::)

So, now I have to find a way to figure where the arrows is inside each six foot section.  Do I go by diameter alone, or can I check spine before I straighten the whole stick?

Aero, those are some really pretty boo arrows.  I'm sorry to hear that you lost one, but that's going to happen.  Thanks for your guidance and encouragement.

All the Best,
Canoe

Oh, BTW, I picked up a really nice Red Oak board while I was at the HD, It'll make a dandy bow. ;)
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:43:01 pm »
Go by spine. Some are more dense than others.   I would suggest a heat gun. 20 bucks at home depot and you can use it for other things.   Don't worry about me loosing one, I've got about 20 more waiting to be shot!    And thanks for the compliment, ill be making lots more once oneeye gets his shafts