Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 14592 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Olympics
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:37:42 pm »
Anybody else hooked on Curling?  I love it, I wish we could get coverage every winter.
Traverse City, MI

Offline sailordad

Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »
im from minnesota
of couse i like curling ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:09:09 pm »
curling....smurling... hockey is the way to go
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:36:00 am »
Tim...He meant Curling as in the Ice Sport of pushing some chunk of Granite down the Rink towards a Goal...not the Soda Head Sport of sitting in ones Easy chair...Curling a 12...24... or 40 ouncer....eh..... :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:46:36 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:43:17 am »
he he he that a good one mike  ;D

i think that is one of the coolest but yet most under rated sports around
it takes skill to sweep that ice and position that piece of granite in the house
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:46:05 am »
I had never seen curling until the Turin games four years ago. I agree, curling is facinating.

The Olympics is the only time I will watch any sports on TV. My wife becomes a sports widow every 2 years. :)

Did anyone catch the women's alpine event last night? Some really horrible crashes, which reminds me of why my leg is so messed up today. These kind of injuries plague you for the rest of your life. Skiing is way more dangerous than many think.

And this has got me thinking about how ancient skiing is. It may date back to the ice age. Ice skating goes back at least 5000 years, too. I am envisioning a paleo games, with athletes competing in skin clothing, tossing atlatls, skiing on recreated ancient skis, maybe combine this with primitive bows, a kind of stone age biathlon. We should petition the IOC to include this stuff for the next games.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:01:38 am »
I had mono 8 years ago and all I could do if I even came to was watch the Olympics.  I didn't get it before then, now I love curling.  Wish I could actually go to do it somewhere, that looks like a great time.
That Swedish skiiers crash was nasty.  Ouch.  I love it all, figure skating isn't my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the talent.  I love the short track speed skating.
I think they should have snow shoe running/archery, or an archery biathlon.  I bet it would get a strong showing from around the world!
1’—>1’

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:02 am »
Bois-D arc primitive skills knappin, has a "bow-olympics" Basically it's a course where you have to run through shooting targets,knocking off a flint flake big enough to start a fire, and then starting a fire with it.Timed event. Never done it, but gets interesting. Amazing how fast some of these guys can get a fire going.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:07 am »
The Olympics the only TV athletics I watch and love every minute of it. My favorite is snowboarding and especially the half pipe. Some of the Nordic events are a little boring but only because of the time involved in each event. At least they show the highlights. The figure skating is incredible because of the talent and athleticism it takes to do what those folks can do..on skates no less.
  When watching some of these events I find myself saying..."Hey, I could do that...just not on purpose!"  ;D

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:51:30 pm »
 I sat in a sports bar in Alberta last year when they were having some kind of world champiomship going on. I can honestly say that I'd rather watch bowling.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »
My Dad loves curling..I'd rather watch paint dry..Mullet where was ya in Alberta.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline sonny

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »
I hate to sound like a dumb%** but I've sat and watched curling.......don't get how it's scored ? ???
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:18 pm »
 Glen, I think they score by how far it goes or how fast they sweep, I dunno ???. Stoker, I was in Edmonton at the hotel but working in Redwater.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Manager

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:49 pm »

I have to say I find curling fascinating, but i dont get why they are letting the same guy lose t for them at the end each time.....

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:05 pm »
Sonny
I'll try my best, but someone (hopefully a Canadian) will jump in an explain better. ;).   The team tries to aim for the "button" which is the center of the "house" (bullseye).  After all the stones have been curled.  The stones that are closest to the button of one team and within the closest stone of the opposing teams closest stone are counted.  In other words you could have 3 stones closer to the center than your opponents closest stone so you would get 3 pts.  I'm pretty sure that is right but I might stand some correcting.

Pat-
I'll agree sometimes the Nordic events are a bit long, but the beauty is the suffering. ;D   Nothing like puking at the finish line.  
Traverse City, MI