Author Topic: tulip  (Read 2415 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
tulip
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:42:50 am »
built a long house this year and dropped several tulip poplars. didnt want all the wood to go to waste so i decided to see how it would work with shafts. pretty happy with what im getting. material is consistent in spine and weight throughout the boards ive made. also getting a fairly thin shaft for the spine. slightly barrel tapered 5/16th shaft. a dozen shafts have all come to within 25gr of weight also. pretty happy with this stuff. most of the shafts were hand made so i could tune them to what i wanted. im gonna nock out a dozen on the dowel maker and see what they run off at. i'll post pics when i finish em up
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tulip
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:46:13 am »
I've never used it but poplar makes very good, consistent shafts from what I've heard. I would imaging the larger trees would make for more stable shafts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »
I made a few out of tulip poplar and really liked them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »
i have used popular almost exclusively and its great , recently tried spruce its fine as well , i got some douglas fir today nough for about 20 shafts hope it does as well as popular ! if not i have 42 popular shafts waiting on me