Author Topic: Arrow shafts  (Read 10569 times)

Jmhoff10500

Arrow shafts
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:10:04 pm »
Is it possible to make your own arrow shafts on a lathe, or are there precise measurments and balances that are hard to get?

Offline aero86

Re: Arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »
having only used a lathe in middle school, i would be afraid getting a piece of wood thin enough, and it wobbling.  but like i said, it was a long time ago!!  most people just take squared stock and plane or sand the corners off till its 16 sided or so, then just sand it, and youve got your shaft..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Jmhoff10500

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:46:48 pm »
The Lathe is my specialty ;D so i think what i might lack in skill, might be counteracted by a fast lathe... Is there a certain way to taper the shaft? where is the best place to get veins and a way to glue them on?

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:16:11 pm »
they make shaft tapering tools.  but you could try your hand on a lathe.  just make sure you have really straight grain wood.  you can get vanes in lots of places. the sponsors here are a good place to start, and you can try the various auction sites on the internet..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:45:44 pm »
trust me on this one John, from experience, its impossible to do with a lathe, and the 1 out of 12 that might survive to make a shaft, are not worth the effort. they need to be flexible, and you can't turn something that flexible when its 30'' long
I either buy shafts, buy dowels and straighten and spine them myself (also alot of work) and then weight match them, or use cane, which is how ive been making my arrows lately.

ebay has some sweet deals

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »
lee valley tools , 3/8 dowel cutter with extra blade is about a 25.00 investment , reduce 1/2 by 1/2 by 33in and drive through the dowel cutter with a drill  motor

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:19:13 pm »
+1 to that

I had one but never used it so I traded it off, I never used it because I started using tonkin cane, which is way more difficult to work, but is cheap and if done right makes great arrows

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »
yes, tonkin cane,  yes!

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »
hey aero make sure to tell me if them cane sticks goin your way don't arrive by next friday ;)

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:08:25 pm »
If you just gotta try it (like I never do that ::) ) I would recommend at least one ballbearing steady if not two.  I would also NOT suggest a  high speed once you get thin, one for safety, two it is easier to set up a catastrophic harmonic vibration at higher speed.  Frankly I would stick to tools built for the process.  Please be carefull.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:52:59 pm »
I've made a living turning wood for thirty years. My big machine in 3hp and will swing 24" inside and has a 12' bed. Even with a couple of steady rests it ain't going to be time effective and two same diameter shafts will have different spine. Tonkin cane or shoot shafts are the way to go.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:11:46 am »
I agree.  The only reason I would even consider to try is if I wanted to do a turned and carved one piece arrow(art piece).  It would be where the arrowhead and fletchings were carved after the turning.  I'd still only do it if I was bent on using the lathe just because. It would be easier just to carve the whole thing. A doweling jig and/or hand plane would be my primary tools for shootable shafts (non cane or shoot shafts that is).

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 11:25:22 am »
I make them by hand with a plane. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:13:44 pm »
If you do a google search you can find plans to make a router table jig to make smooth, straight dowels.  I have tried the saw blade trick found on youTube also.  it works, but makes a rough shaft.

Goog

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 01:27:49 pm »
If you do a google search you can find plans to make a router table jig to make smooth, straight dowels.  I have tried the saw blade trick found on youTube also.  it works, but makes a rough shaft.

Goog

this one makes some nice Shafts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lF2YXLdoiY
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome