Author Topic: tiller help (adjustments made)  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
tiller help (adjustments made)
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:17:50 am »
I am trying to finish this one up but I am having some difficulties with the bottom limb. 

Here it is...

It has a high crowned thick spot midlimb, followed by a deflex/reflex portion to the tip. 

Here I am on full draw...

My question is do i need to take more off the stiff area in the last half of the bottom limb or do you think I have it working good enough in that area?  The tiller looks off to me and I don't know where to go from here.  I really don't want to mess this one up so all advice is welcome.  Thanks for looking!   :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:49:11 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tiller help (I think I am going cross-eyed)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:29:26 am »
In the bottom pic the bottom limb looks stiff in the outer half but in the first pic it looks fine. Shoot it for a while and see if it has settled in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:39:16 am »
looks good to me
bryan irwin

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:36:30 am »
Just a hair on the bottom maybe.  But flip the bottom tip a bit first?

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:06:28 am »
I don't know, Josh.  I think I'd go with what Pat is saying.  Shoot it in and see how it looks.  The bottom will take more stress over time, so maybe it will even up to be just right?  Hmm.  How does it shoot?
1’—>1’

Offline riarcher

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:11:42 am »
I don't know So I'm only asking to learn something (not critisizing at all).

Looking where the red line leaves by the tips, the top tip seems to bend a bit more throughout.
Is there a reason for this to be done on purpose?
I just got the impression they should bend evenly.... but maybe not?

Really, don't know, just asking so I may learn. Please don't take it the wrong way.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:45:48 am »
         Some people like there bottom limb a little stiff if your one of those people your fine.It your not tiller the bottom limb just a little.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline riarcher

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:31:28 am »
Thanks.  :)
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:54:23 am »
thanks guys, I am going to run a few more arrows through it and then check it again...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »
The tiller looks good to me.
Gordon

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 02:19:18 pm »
I believe Id be happy to quiet right there and see how it shoots,any adjustments would be minor,to my eye anyway
Now is the good old days

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 04:06:19 pm »
I'm not an expert by any means (am only now working on my 3rd bow).....however, when looking at fine tuning the tiller, such as in this case, is there any significant benefit to use a tillering tree and pull the string from the actual bow center?

I've drawn on a slightly different ellipse.  It sure looks even to me, but maybe a bit stiff from midlimb out to the tips.  The photo has been rotated to have the bow back level at the handle, the ellipse is drawn with the center at the center of the handle, and it passes thru the nocks.

J

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 04:16:07 pm »
It's as close to right as 'dammit' is to swearing!
Start anotherbow quick to give yourself something else to worry about...(or ask the wife if she'd like the house decorated :o that'd take your mind off it!)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Josh

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 05:25:43 pm »
I'm not an expert by any means (am only now working on my 3rd bow).....however, when looking at fine tuning the tiller, such as in this case, is there any significant benefit to use a tillering tree and pull the string from the actual bow center?

I've drawn on a slightly different ellipse.  It sure looks even to me, but maybe a bit stiff from midlimb out to the tips.  The photo has been rotated to have the bow back level at the handle, the ellipse is drawn with the center at the center of the handle, and it passes thru the nocks.

J

I draw it by hand for the last few inches of tillering because that is the way I am going to be drawing the bow the rest of its life.  I started doing this because it usually helps me to see the tillering flaws better, everyone does it differently I suppose but usually this way is the best way for me.   :)  My tree lies to me...  :-\

Thanks Guys! 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:53:07 pm by Josh »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 05:44:04 pm »
 Josh, I'd shoot it a lot and see what it looks like after that. I think if it was me though, I'd come back about 4 or 5" from the lower limb tip and scrape off just a LITTLE. That just looks like a long, flat section to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?