Author Topic: Ottawa Presentation Bow/ Cancer benefit for brother-in-law (not for BOM)  (Read 5419 times)

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
I give it one vote for board bow of the month. Not a categorie?!! I still like it, good job as usaul Rich.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline DanaM

Beautiful bow Rich :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Very nice work and nice of you. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Orkraider

That's a very cool looking bow. I'd love to hear some more details of how you put that together.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Check out Half-Eye's article on making Ottawa bows in the Feb/March issue of Primative Archer magazine, our gracious sponsor!
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

half eye

Thanks again for the nice comments fellas, Hey Jeff, when you gonna post up that Mollegabet? It's a thing of beauty. Thanks Pappy and Dana means a lot.

Orkraider: I make mine from split out "boards" the splits (or quartersawn) are vertical grain and are much like the originals were. I tiller them out with three "sticks" (short medium and long)were the bow is kept under tension while being tillered into a "full circle" like in the PA article. All the tillering is done with a knife blade (shaves well but not too aggressive).

The Ottawa tillered after the "scallops were cut in (but they had hundreds of years to work it out, so I've been advising folks to tiller out the stick till it hits full draw and is is about 5 or so pounds heavy.....then cut in the scallops. The problem for us white guys is when you tiller with the "nodes" allready cut in the knife blade will tend to "roller-coaster" where the nodes are; it's like a hard spot and the narrower limb in between is like soft wood ......I though it is easier for guys making the first few to tiller the board and then cut the scallops. It is not too complicated at all.......patience is the hard part, to keep working that draw back while keeping the weight and the circular arc. (Boise De Arc) Threw in a couple pics of some other Ottawa (Odawa) that I made.

hope that helps some.
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline okiecountryboy

Half Eye,
Every time I see one of your bows ( and several others at PA) I learn...Being a beginer with bow building, I look close and study.
I'm really likin the authenticity....

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline stickthrower

I love the bow.  Truly a prize for whoever gets it.
Sartell, Minnesota

half eye

Thank you fellas, glad that ya like it.....I do too :D   someday I got make one for myself.
rich

Offline okiecountryboy

Rich
If you are gonna keep givin them away.......Well..... ;D ;D ;D ;)

Just kiddin
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.