Author Topic: Basket quivers  (Read 15490 times)

Offline venisonburger

Re: Basket quivers
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 02:39:04 pm »
Those are great lookin quivers. Looks like lots of work. I'll have to watch when you and Dana do one.
VB

Offline ScottH

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 12:54:48 am »
 I really like those  Pat. Your a man of many talents! ;D

Offline horatio1226

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 08:59:05 pm »
I am the lucky recipient of that great quiver with the cherry bark. It is absolutely stunning! I definitely made the right choice sending that stuff to Pat.
Thanks Pat!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 01:08:39 am »
The pleasure was mine, Brian. Now I have a new hobby...like I need another hobby!  ;D 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 08:54:41 am »
Pat, is there a article in PA on these quivers? I looked but did not find one.
 I'm looking at our Fuchsia bushes and the nice skinny 5' bendy leaders they have.
If I want to make one quiver how much store bought stuff do I buy?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 12:13:56 am »
Grunt, I haven't done an article for PA. I learned from my wife.  For about $25 you can get a bundle of #2 rounds, 3/8" flat weavers and 1/4" flat weavers. With these three types you can make a quiver like the ones I made. With those 3 bundles you could make 4 or 5 quivers, maybe more.
  Once you get the hang of weaving the quiver(took me 3 to get the feel) you can add stuff like the cherry bark, snake skins or other interesting materials. Honeysuckle vines were used to weave baskets. I believe you have to boil them first. Grape vines work well and are interesting and I have read about using split blackberry canes also. I'd like to learn more about basketry and would like to learn about the Cherokee style split cane baskets.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 08:48:36 am »
Thanks Pat, I'll be hitting the craft stores in Asheville on Tuesday. New Stuff To Learn!!!!

Grunt

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 01:07:46 pm »
Ordered 3/8  and 1/4 flat and #2 round. Went to a used book store and got a pretty good handmade basket book. Waiting for my materials now. Pat, do you Indian weave a basket quiver or do you put an additional rib in so you have an odd number to do a  continuous  weave?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 06:45:13 pm »
Man , Those look great. I want to make me one.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 11:13:11 pm »
Grunt,  What I have to do with these "baskets" is start out with 2 sets of 2, 60" long and make a cross at the center and start weaving (kinda hard to explain) them together. After a few rounds split then and add a 30" piece in from the center.  As I weave I add more ribs. I think these have 15 total(4, 60" and 11, 30"). I taper that end of the 30" ribs.
  To answer your question, Yes, I add an odd rib.  What is the Indian style?

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 01:28:10 am »
Pat, those are awesome quivers. I realy like those. You, sir, are a true craftsman.
Living a dream...

Grunt

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 09:00:42 am »
In the book I got, the Indian style is to weave with an even number of ribs by going over or under two ribs at once to put the weavers on an odd number path each round. I'm going to add a rib to get an odd number.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2010, 12:49:52 am »
What in the book?  I have one ; BASKETRY of the APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS, by Sue H Stephenson.  Good info but lacking some too.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 01:42:38 pm »
very cool quivers pat. this is something i want to make eventually myself, not sure yet what materials im going to use as i would rather harvest em myself.lol. i did find some interesting stuff about getting strips for weaving from logs though, the one i saw was hickory, they actually got the growth rings to seperate and used them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 02:15:37 pm »
Hickory or poplar inner bark should work fine for the weavers. Also honeysuckle vines work but I believe you have to boil them first.  Willow or other shoots will work for the frame.
   Google Native basketry. The Cherokee as well as others made very cool baskets with river cane and other cool stuff.