Author Topic: Basket quivers  (Read 15491 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Basket quivers
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:02:20 pm »
  I've been messing around with making a few basket quivers. I made a trade with a guy from another site. He sent me a box full of basket making materials and I made him a basket quiver. It took me a few tries before I made one I wanted to send him. The smallest quiver(red) was my first and I think they improved from there. The one I made for him is the next to the last with the accent bands at the top. On the last 2 I used choke cherry bark for accent strips. Straps are adjustable to insure a good fit. These are back quivers except the smaller red one and I made it as a side quiver.
  A few of these may show up at the Classic.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

HatchA

Re: Basket quivers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:05:23 pm »
Pat, they're wonderful! 

Would you use them as they are or would you recommend a little internal padding to keep the noise down?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »
Thanks, Hatch. 
  I put a leather disc in the bottom of each to protect it from the points. A fur or leather collar would help with noise but I didn't add that. It would probably be easy to do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »
Now I'll have to try to get to the classic if only for a day trip. Too many nice things to see, good work.
 Question, are these quivers quiet or do arrows rattle. I hunt from the ground a lot and am interested in a more traditional quiver.
N2
Genesis 27: 3

vtclimber

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »
Darn, those are nice Pat!I've been wanting to make one for a while...sed to make baskets (from scratch, e.g. harvet the wood make the ribs etc) years ago. Spec once I get back on my feet I'll have to dive into that..

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 08:02:11 pm »
You are the man Pat.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 08:14:05 pm »
Man I like them Pat if you have any materials left think you could demonstarte at the Classic? I would like to learn how to weave :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:03:54 am »
Pat
Those are great.  The last one is outstanding.  Very nice work.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:33 am »
                                   Look Sweet Pat......thats another Hobby I need to pick up on........ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »
Hey guys, Thanks.   My wife made baskets years ago but had to stop due to carpel tunnel problems so I had some ideas of the process and I had her around to give me pointers. It has been fun and I will continue with it as long as my interest is peaked and the materials hold out. I did buy new materials because what was in the trade box wasn't quite what I needed to complete the quivers. I also have a friend that makes baskets and I got some pointers and emergency supplies that I needed.
  Dana, I'd be pleased to do a build along at the Classic. Only problem is having enough materials for individual, hands on lessons. A few areas of the basket making process can be complicated like at the the beginning and the end. The middle part is repetitious and except for maintaining proper tension so the tube stays symmetrical only a bit of concentration is necessary. Once someone gets the jest of the process it can be done while watching TV in the evening as you relax. I can surely show you, or whoever, the principles and a few tricks to get you started.
  vtclimber, I would eventually like to use more natural, local materials. For one thing I think it looks better. Just adding the cherry bark to these last two quivers really set them off from the others.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 01:36:55 pm »
Sounds good Pat, we have black ash up here and it was used traditionally for baskets and such, you pound it and it seperates along the growth rings.
I'd also think the principles of weaving would also apply for things like willow and spruce root
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 01:57:56 pm »
Dana, I'm sure the principals are all related but different materials take different techniques and amounts of prep work. That will be the fun part of using more natural materials and working out the methods.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 02:13:47 pm »
Pat.....I have seen some made from Yucca Plant Leaves....and they were really nice looking
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

vtclimber

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:32:14 pm »
Pat, using local materials is always fun (but hell, you and everyone else on here knows that). I made a magazine basket for my mother about 17 years ago, and she still has it. Went from hickory tree to basket lol. Making the ribs and strips is a lot of fun to say the least. I have really been diggin the basket quivers and those are a good excuse to make a few lol.

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 03:51:36 pm »
Traditionally split white oak was used around here by the settlers. The Cherokee used split river cane and made baskets so tight you could cook with them using hot rocks inside as the heat source. In Coastal SC and GA the Gullah people (slaves and descendants of slaves) used long leaf yellow pine needles and palmetto fronds to make beautiful coiled baskets. Honeysuckle and grape vines have been used in the past and today as well as willow and other whitey type materials.
  When my wife was making baskets she used mostly store bought materials but also incorporated natural materials she found in the woods or along the the rivers and beaches of SC as well as grape vines. 
  n2huntn, as far as hunting with these quivers I'm sure primitive man did and some folks today also but you would have to control the noisy quality of the basket. A soft lining or a fur collar around the top lip would work for this. I have even used a thong across the top opening and sometimes two to separate the arrows while in the quiver.
 Wade(n2everything) made a GFA type quiver last year by weaving river cane for the hood and using the cane to hold the arrow grabber.