Author Topic: 13th Tennessee Classic  (Read 13974 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
13th Tennessee Classic
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:53:22 am »
                                                     Twin Oaks Bowhunters
13th annual
***Tennessee Classic***
Clarksville,TN.
   Traditional Archery shoot
    April 30th May 1st 2nd 2010   
41 Targets--Entry Fee $20.00

Custom Trophies awarded

Shoot Classes
Recurve Bow * Long Bow * Self Bow * Ultimate Self Bow Challenge (Make a Self Bow with Gary Davis and shoot it for score Thursday-Sunday.  Contact Mark Baggett 
931-362-3717   for more info.)
markbaggett@detdist.com
Vendors
* Primitive Camping available onsite *
Practice range open to all who register for the main shoot

*Pot luck Supper on Saturday Night*
For additional information, contact Mark Baggett @931-362-3717/615-313-4639 
markbaggett@detdist.com  [Pappy]
directions:  from Nashville Take I-24 west towards Clarksville, exit onto maxey rd. (exit 19), turn left, go to the end of maxey road, and turn right onto 41-a (north), go approximately 5 miles, turn left onto oak plains road (look for twin oaks sign and smith auto salvage sign), turn left onto Knox road, turn right on Ashley road.  Watch for the twin oaks signs!!!   

Ya I know this has been beat to death but in case someone on here don't know it is a month
away. :) :) Also the directions are at the bottom of the flyer from Nashville,TN.  The address
to the farm in 1079 Ashley Rd. Chapmansboro,TN.37035 in case you want to map quest. See yall
in a few weeks.Come anytime I will be there from April 23rd through the 3rd of May.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

Re: 13th Tennessee Classic
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:50:48 am »
Pappy you knnow I'll be there unless the sky falls.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:52:08 am »
For anyone that hasn't been involved in the Self Bow Challenge, Twin Oaks will have roughed in hickory bows that have been straightened on forms with some reflex added. There will also be roughed in Osage bows available through Gary Davis and Yazoo with assistance given by them in getting the Osage bows to a shooting stage. Several Twin Oaks members (including Pappy ), and probably some other PA folks will be helping as needed during the tillering process of the hickory bows. We have a good many bench/vises available on a first come first serve basis. We also provide scrappers and will have tillering strings for sale. In the past it can get pretty hectic with a dozen or so making bows at anyone time and just a few folks helping, so be patient please

Like King Ron said, the actual contest starts on Thursday with the bows being at a semi-floor tillered stage without string notches cut in. But for my 2 cents worth, I personally feel the emphasis of this self bow making event is not a contest so much as a introduction to making an all wooden bow and getting new people interested and excited in this great hobby! It's an opportunity to have "hands on" experience with some guidance given by experienced bowyers...not to mention some good camaraderie! It's all in fun, no need to feel stressed but just enjoy yourself. Most folks in past years if they started Thursday or Friday have got their bows to a shooting stage allowing them to shoot the course for score against their fellow students of the Self Bow Challenge. All participants will be asked to enter the Self Bow Challenge which includes help tillering the bow and getting to shoot the course. Typically most of the bows aren't completely finished during the weekend. Usually additional sanding/ finish work, grip, and sometimes sealing the bow is still left to be completed after going home. The entire process to a fine finished bow like displayed in the PA forum bow section is typically to lengthy to be entirely completed by an inexperienced person in such a short time.

I hope this may help answer some questions to any folks new to the Classic that are interested in taking part in the Self Bow Challenge. [From GreB]

This was good and It also helps explane some of the challenge, You are welcome to come watch
or bring your own bench and work on bow but please if you are working in our shop register,it gets crowed with folks that have entered and we hate to see the ones that have registered to do this not have a place to work.Also it is the only way we make any money to be able to keep this going,
We give a lot during the year and without this fundraiser we wouldn't be able to do it. Thanks to all that participate in this event and all that donate to the club,PA and PA folks have been really good to us over the years and I can't tell you how much all of us appreciate it.This event isn't about the money and if you can't afford it ,we will take care of you but it dose take money to keep it going,so we can pass it on.  :) :) Plus we really like to keep track of how many bows were built,what they were made of and how they turned out.Weight and draw length. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:44:22 pm »
Man! It's sneaking up on us! I'm gonna try to be there a coupla days early - see ya'll then...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »
This is an overhead google shot. I think I have the right area. Just curious is you can point out were Twin Oaks is located for us that like to have a visual.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24:14 pm »
Can't point to it ,but it is on the right side just passed the woods ,right after you come off Knox rd.
No that is scary,big brother is watching.  ;) >:D >:D you need a close up shot of that area.I have seen some you can see the cabin and target bails. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:11:12 pm »
Pappy he needs to go on down the road a little further I can't see the junk yard yet.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:03 pm »
I was using google maps. It can go down a bit closer, but i didn't know if I had your place in the frame or not. I'll take another look.

If you did want to put a pointer on the picture, you could by saving my picture to your hard drive, opening it in something as simple as windows paint and drawing an arrow to it, saving the new pic and reposting it.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 02:35:07 pm »
Since you said it was on the right hand side, I think I found it. I may have to do to post. First will show it so you see where it is in relation to the roads. The second will show it a little closer in.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »
Here is the closeup.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 02:38:02 pm »
Did I get it?

Offline BearG

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:41:26 pm »
Look like it to me Steve
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »
Yup dats da place donchano eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:29:29 pm »
It would be really cool to have an ariel photo when everyone is there just for comparison.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 04:12:14 pm »
an ariel photo of all of us there simultaneously shooting a volley of arrows.  :o I've always wanted to gather a group of people together to shoot a volley at something...  :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:36:04 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln