Author Topic: bandsaw  (Read 5926 times)

Offline mox1968

bandsaw
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:07 pm »
im looking for a bandsaw that wont cost the earth but will re saw laminations backings etc, will cut out stave outlines and generally be powerfull enough for bow making.I bought a small hobby type of bandsaw a few months back but it just doesnt cut the mustard so any recommendations guys??im based in the republic of ireland so looking for something that wont cost a fortune to get mailed too.

half eye

Re: bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:38:25 pm »
Hey Mox,
       Cant help you on the saw model question.......but in the meantime you may want to try changing your blade. I use my bandsaw.....a lot. My favorite blades for working down bow stock is either 1/2" 3 hook, or 3/4" 3 hook. This tooth configuration cuts every type of hardwood that I use very well and doesn't require a lot of power to do it either.

Hope that might help you out in the short term.
Rich

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »
check out Grizzly tools I have the 1 1/2 hp and it comes with a nice 6" resaw fence. Plenty of power as well. Not sure on shipping to Ireland though ??? Its about $70 to ship it in the U.S.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:12:50 am »
i have a 9 1/2 ryobi and was ready to trash it untill i got a 3/8 th blade 6 tpi i think. it works fine now , you can bog it but if your careful it'll work!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:47:41 am »
I have a 14", 1hp Grizzly and love it. I would suggest you check out Grizzly. They are a Korean import company so there may be a dealer in your neck of the woods. Grizzly sells many kinds of woodworking and metal working tools they have great tech support and a full inventory of accessories and replacement parts if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:59:05 am »
I have a Craftsman Pro 14" 1HP bandsaw, and it's great. No regrets. It cuts everything I put through it. I took me a while to get the proper blade, but once that was sorted out, no worries.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:14:08 am »
14" Shop Fox. It has all the upgrades that make a great saw without the upgraded price.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:09:01 am »
14" Shop Fox. It has all the upgrades that make a great saw without the upgraded price.

Agreed :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:23 am »
I just decided to give myself a bandsaw as a present and ordered this one: Güde GBS 315 UG
Here in Germany is has the reputation as a very good compromise between price and quality.

But the shipping to ireland is something around 170,- €   :o

This one is very similar and has a very good reputation too: METABO BAS 317 PRECISION BANDSAW

And here a model from ireland (but I don't know it): Record Power BS300E Bandsaw
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:48:12 pm by Justin Snyder »
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline mox1968

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:53:08 am »
thanks guys I think as a general rule if I look at at least 14" and at least 1hp should be what i need.i did try to change blade but still too small and flimsy on the one i have.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 11:03:06 am »
I have a 1 HP, 14" Grizzly as well.  I have it paired with a 4 or 5 tpi blade.  It's just fine for reduced staves, but inadequate for full log splits.  (Though I push its limits often.)  I'd really like something bigger for stave bows, and certainly wouldn't want anything less. There's nothing quite as exciting as being on the far end of a log, just out of reach of the off switch when the motor bogs to a stop.    ???

vtclimber

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 01:22:34 pm »
Hey, I have heard good things about both Metabo and Record Power in some British woodworking mags. Both should be good. RIKON also makes a hell of a good bandsaw. I have a 14" craftsman and a 14inch delta. I love both. Most of the time with bandsaws, whether benchtop or larger is that they just aren't tuned up well.....even a 9" tuned up will do 90% of what you need for making bows..

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 08:37:48 pm »
I got a nice one off E-bay 12" wheels Electra Bekum BAS 315. There were quite a few on there, I bid for a couple near me, once they'd gone the price seemed to come down as no one wants to travel miles or pay for postage. I stuck in a winning maximum bid of £170 with 30 seconds left on the auction and I got it at £130 I gave the bloke "20 to deliver it as he had a van  ;D
I spent a bit of time and £10 cleaning/tuning it.
Del
PS.Just noticed, mine is the same as Coopers, a few posts up, the manufacturer changed name a few times and was bought out by Metabo eventually. Spares are still available easy and cheap on the internet
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:19:43 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Lombard

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:19:23 pm »
I have an older 12" Craftsman, that I thought was a dog, until someone in the know; told me about S.L. Fusco Bandsaw blades. Expensive, but worth the price.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 10:42:33 pm »
14" grizzly  1 hp with Timberwolf blades, cut lots of ipe with no problems.Love it.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3