Author Topic: Bro-In-Law, Ohio Gift  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Parnell

Bro-In-Law, Ohio Gift
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
I love hickory.  I've made this bow for my brother-in-law to give as a gift, up in Ohio.  It's been a little interesting because I've just been given some basic information on the recipient.  About 6'1 and probably not much shooting experience.  So I figured I'd tiller the bow out at a lower weight with a 29" draw.  Hope it's ok for him, but I'm sure the draw could go to 30 if need be because right now I've got about 43 lbs. @ 29".  It's so nice to shoot a lower weight bow.  I've given it about 50 shots and man, my accuracy is just noticeably consistent when placing four or five arrows randomly from 5 to 20 yards.  Doesn't have the speed of a 60lb. bow, but it's quiet, comfortable, accurate and I'm getting a good 5-6" of penetration into the bag.
I figure the lower weight will be better to give the bow some life and allow for easier bracing from someone who may not have the experience.  I hope it goes well, I've had a couple break from travel and not being let to "breath" in it's new environment.  This one is being plenty of directions to go with!

I'll also be making 5 target arrows and a few stone tipped along with a quiver.  I'll repost with the set that I make before I send it off, and also the finish work on the bow. 

Hope you're all enjoying the Easter.  Peace. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Bro-In-Law, Ohio Gift
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »
looks really good man, can't wait to see the set you make with it.  He should be very happy with it.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:54:41 am »
Looks Good :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:57 am »
Good looking bow,nice tiller and profile.He should love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:09:12 pm »
Bows and pianos... that's weird wild stuff, man.  ;D
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:34:11 pm »
Quite the bow and, obviously, quite the piano. Bookmarked for piano I mean self bow of the month for April
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »
I'm gonna have a hard time letting this one go.  Shooting again this afternoon and it really is a pleasure.  Too bad I can't play the piano as well as I can shoot with this bow - I leave it to Angie! ;D
1’—>1’