Author Topic: Pyramid attempt  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Frode

Pyramid attempt
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:13:01 pm »
Hi all,
Inspired by examples in TBB I and II, and with some advice from NOMADIC PIRATE on glued cord nocks, I've started building this... thing.
Ever have one of those yardstick days  >:( :P :-\ ?!
For reasons I can't recall, this ended up being 58 1/2" tip to tip, and 57 5/8" ntn.  It is 1 3/4" at the fades going straight down to about 7/16" at the tips.  Limb thickness goes from about 7/16" out of the fades to around 3/8" at the nocks.  Linen and Titebond III backed hickory board.
So far it's pulling 40# @ 20", with an eye to getting to 35-40# @ 26-28".  The drawn pic is at 18", and it seems like an awful lot of bend.  8-10" more draw seems like it's asking a lot, but I'm used to working on longer bows.
This is for a lad who is just getting over gun shyness of bows, as his last longbow blew up on him.  I'm afraid if I can't get this worked out just right and extra safe, he'll be lost to the dark side (Crossbows  >:D).
I'd appreciate your comments, as this one isn't giving me a good feeling.
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline adb

Re: Pyramid attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:03 am »
Looks good to me so far.

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:08 am »
looks pretty good.  like scott said, get it bending a bit more closer to the fades.  youve still got some wood to remove to get to your weight, so you should be ok.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:03:38 pm by aero86 »
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:55 am »
Looks good. If you're using tied on nocks I'd just take the tips down to 1/4" and use a wedge.  ;D

Offline bowstring

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »
  Great looking bow! Hickory is amazing, the amount of bend it will take. Tiller looks spot on, and if it were my bow, I'd side tiller it the rest of the way. Using a scraper, take say, 10 passes on all four edges, exercise, and check tiller. With Hickory, you can get scary thin tips, which really boost arrow speed. Good Luck! bowstring
"We are, what we do, when it counts"

Offline Frode

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:31 pm »
Well, seeing as no one raised a red flag, I'll keep moving it forward.
adb and bowstring, thanks, I've gone cross-eyed checking this thing!  Guess I'm just used to the long bows.
Scott and aero, I'm always a bit over cautious around the fades- don't want to make a hinge- but I'll take it off there.
Ryoon, is the wedge you mentioned different from what I've got so far (wedge of leather wrapped with hemp and glue)?  If you can give an example that would be great, as I have another one roughed out but not quite ready for the long string.  It is a six footer, just a shade under 2 1/2" at the fades, and it'll need some lightening up.
bowstring, scary thin, you say?  I've read this style can be fast, which is what I'm hoping for.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
Frode

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:47 pm »
I have to say, it looks really good to me.

I can't wait to see what it looks like done; my next is gonna be a pyramid, so I"m all eyes.

Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:11 pm »
This tip is 1/4 inch.  I just took a 5/16 arrow shaft and cut a short piece...shaped it into a wedge and tied it with artificial sinew.

Offline Frode

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:27:28 pm »
This tip is 1/4 inch.  I just took a 5/16 arrow shaft and cut a short piece...shaped it into a wedge and tied it with artificial sinew.

That's interesting!  Do you have a pic showing more of that bow?
Frode

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:55:59 pm »
not so good laptop camera but thats all I have...excuse the morning look of me haha...I got up and had an urge to take some pics of the bow.

This bow is a little 48" red oak pyramid...1.5" at the fades straight tapering to 1/4 nocks.