Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 12765 times)

Offline Dane

Ticks
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:30:53 am »
Hi guys. Anyone here have any suggestions about getting ticks off you once the little freaks find your nice, tasty blood? I've been splitting some wood and clearing some land for an archery lane, and even with bug juice, I come home with new friends.

Thanks,
Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Timo

Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:37:53 am »
what kind of bug juice you useing?

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:04:01 am »
It's in the car. Deep, something like that. Picked it up at CVS.

Dane

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:07:09 am »
If you stretch the skin around their hold, does it lock them in place so that even they can't release?  Then the blood flows in without their control and they glut 'til they burst?

It's an old Wive's tale for mosquitoes, just thought if it were true, it might do the same for ticks?

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:15:13 am »
get ya some "permanone" or "duranone". Follow the directions.  helps a bunch.

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:18:38 am »
If they are already embeded put sone cooking oil on them it cuts off they,re air supply and they let go.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:47:27 am »
I just pinch the little boogers and pull em off, make sure ya get the head though
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:18:30 am »
I have heard to use a stiff card(like a credit card or drivers license) and scrape them off working from their head back. If you pinch them to pull out or even use a match to heat and make them release they will inject more of the bad stuff(could have Lymes disease).
  Dane, get Permanone spray like Timo said. Walmart as well as other stores carries it. You spray your cloth and hang them to dry before you wear them. This will kill any tick, chigger or other insect that touches it. From my experience they eat Deet for breakfast and are little effected by it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:31:55 am »
cooking oil or vasiline,cover them well and they should let loose
i use deep woods of with 40% deet.only timei get a tick is when i forget to spray myself with it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 01:02:16 pm »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just got home, zero ticks this time. The wife just cringes if I ask her to check me for ticks. :)

Dane

Lombard

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 01:55:15 pm »
Pulled the first one of the season out of my leg Wednesday. I just hold their bodies, and gently pull until the tick releases. There is a tool that looks like a melon scoop with a slit in it, that I have seen a veterinarian use to remove them in one quick motion.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 02:03:40 pm »
I know the two I picked up at Pappys last year were some little Bears....one took 5 months to heal and quit itching....the other still hasn't quit yet...whenever I sweat...it gets inflamed and itches like mad.... I am a firm believer in Permarone now......  >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:45:50 pm »
cooking oil or vasiline,cover them well and they should let loose

If ya find a tick on yer best little buddy you gonna put some lotion on it and wait fer it to back out or
you gonna grab it and yank it off ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:55:39 pm »
I Ain't Touching That One......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »
 Dana, Jesse told me a story about that while we were waiting for the rain to quit. I went ahead and hunted in the rain. ::) ;D And Wal-Mart quit selling Permanome down here two years ago because of liability. Seems their clientel can't read directions and were spraying their body.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?