Author Topic: Osage Bow Start  (Read 1811 times)

Offline coyote1956

Osage Bow Start
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:50:56 pm »
Ok think i got the picture thing down...maybe.......  removing the bark and sap wood from a stave, this stave needs to be seasoned though, have 2 more to de-bark  and de-sapwood, seal up, then store.   getting a couple seasoned ones From Mike , Mr. Osage  soon .  wanted to see how this drawknifing worked and all..  now just how long does it take you guys to de-bark and down to first growth ring??  I aint tellin my time but it was several hours.........  My hats off to you guys this was not nearly ez as it looked when Mike McGuire took one down at the TBOF.  last picture my son Daniel Making his Osage Longbow with Mike's guidance! 
I will try to post updated picts as i move along... Thanks all of you,  for your help on my questions, I got all kinds of books but actually doin it and bein able to ask questions is whats gonna make it happen,  Thanks, Ken 

[attachment deleted by admin]
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline DanaM

Re: Osage Bow Start
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »
Depends on the rings, thin ringed osage can take me hours and hours, nice fat rings go quick
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline yazoo

Re: Osage Bow Start
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:37:12 pm »
I need to put you to work ,, I cut two loads of osage today,,I will split out tomorrow..hope to get about 250 staves,, I need some one to remove sapwood on them,,looking for some one to work long hard hours, for very low pay,,, ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far