Author Topic: My first few arrows  (Read 6834 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

My first few arrows
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:03:54 pm »
Hi guys wanted to share a picture of a few arrows I made and gave to my brother inlaw in exchange for an alaska saw mill and a grove of black locust....I love how the arrows turned out everything was hand made like the stone tips!  He really liked them too and knew there were a lot of time involved.  Thanks guys for looking

Russell

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: My first few arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:17:32 pm »
Nice job.  One of these days I'll sit down with some flint and see if i have what it takes to make good stone points.....probably lots of my own blood, sore fingers...etc  ;)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

half eye

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »
AA,
       Nice looking arrows man....   Ought to make meat.  What did ya use for the shafts? they sort of look my hardwood shafts.
Rich

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:39:31 pm »
Rich I used maple to make the shafts I also used red oak on others I gave away that were equal to these both were perfect spined for around 50 to 60lb draw weight.

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:05:12 am »
Good looking arrows,looks like they should get the job done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:45:23 am »
Nice primitive ammo ya got there!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:34:29 am »
nice arrows man!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »
Thanx I had to give them away but I got to shoot them and they flew real nice Im going to make a few for turkey time in May!  I also gonna make some flu flus for the small game!  I CANT WAIT!!!

Thanks fellas

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:38:43 am »
I forgot to say I was given some turkey wings both right and left and a tail spread!  These were made fro right wing and hand split.  I sanded the veins smooth.  It was a good fit and I enjoed making them. They shoot wonderful and flew as true as any store bought.

AA

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:41:33 pm »
Wow I didnt know Maple could make such good shafts.  I might have to try them someday.  Those look really nice!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:56:29 pm »
Thanx I appreciate the good words!  I reccomend maple it works absolutly perfect!

Russell

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 11:30:03 pm »
Fine lookin' arrows. Something about turkey feathers and rocks..Ooohhh......Baby   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:32 pm »
I here u I hope I dont get caught using them these BASS TERDS in Newyork wont allow it have to be steel and 3 cutting blades or at least thats what Ive been told!

Cheers,
Russ

Jake Levi

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 10:33:03 am »
Very nice arrows, pricey  though a grove of locust ?

New Yawk must have changed laws, I have taken a number of deer with flint heads there, and obsidian. Obsidian has to be better then steel.

Smells like Shumer has been at it again. Thanks to him cant wear a Scottish dirk to a wedding or for pipers marching.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 01:28:32 am »
My mistake I guess Im kinda new at hunting with flint this is my first time and YOU can hunt in NY as long as 7/8'' non barbed ...OH YEAH!!!  I didnt really care much for where I live other than its rich in history, the Iroquios, huge layers of chert,etc.. its crappy for the amount it costs to live here and the taxes...another story!

Russell