Author Topic: Veterans Path and Warrior's Cairn  (Read 3839 times)

Grunt

Veterans Path and Warrior's Cairn
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »
Just wanted to share this.  For about a year now I have been leading a landscaping project at the Asheville NC Veterans Adm Medical Center. I finally got approval last week and we broke ground on a Veterans Path and Warrior's Cairn. The path is 120 yards long and comes off the existing perimeter walking path, goes through four white oaks at least fifteen feet in diameter each and curves around and joins up with the walking path again. In the oaks there will be a eight foot inside diameter stone wall that will be about eighteen inches high and eighteen inches thick for the cairn. A four foot concrete walkway will be built around the wall. A concrete wheelchair path will come out from the cairn walkway and join with the parking lot about sixty feet away. The idea is to have Veterans build the cairn by bringing a rock from home and saying a Warriors name as they place a stone in the cairn. We will have a time capsule in the cairn and four or more tables and benches scattered among the canopy of oaks. All the work is being be done by Veterans with donated or discounted materials. I will recieve 45 tons of road-bond tomorrow.
Something happened while were were working last Sunday that will change the name of the path from Veterans Path to Warrior's Path. As we were working one of the Veterans bent over the path and picked up a big beautiful rose quartizite stone point. according to Overstreet the point is between 3000 and 6000 BP. See the picts.
The Veteran holding the point wears three Purple Hearts.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Veterans Path and Warrior's Cairn
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:23:49 pm »
Thats a really cool story...and a great Omen for future of the Path....just about as good as a Blessing from the Warriors Past....lets see it when it's all done also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »
Grunt very very cool  8)
a very god omen from the warriors of the past

very cool way of building a wall and remembering those that have fallen.
you guys have my respect  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:40 pm »
Good for you got the utmost respect for our warriors. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:06:02 pm »
Well we finished the landscaping and grass seeding on the Warriors Path project last Saturday. Here are some shots of our Warriors Cairn.There are large stones in the Cairn wall at the four directions. The Cairn will be built over time by folks placing stones to honor Warriors or Warriors placing stone to honor anyone.  We will have a dedication ceremony June 5 at 2:00. My wish is that this place under the Grandfather Oaks will be a place to heal Warriors hearts from war.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:30 pm »
Good on you! That is simply awesome.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:25:47 am »
That great,love it and them. Thanks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

half eye

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:55:01 am »
Grunt,
     Like that a whole bunch, The spirits it was built for will like it too. Gives an old warrior a place to conjure back the memories of his youth and comrades, and the things he can't talk about. Good for you.
Rich

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 11:14:12 am »
Wow - that is very inspiring stuff there, grunt. Great job and congrats to you and your crew.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »
Beautiful work, Grunt, you must be proud of the whole project, I would be.  Congratulations.
1’—>1’

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 04:52:20 pm »
Yah Ta Hey!

We remember...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:55:50 pm »
Thanks for the kind word guys. We will have a fairly large Lakota Native American group at our dedication. There will be drumming and singing to "wake up" the Path and Cairn. Two honor guards, a Chaplain, the American Boy Scouts, lots of veterans and Gold Star and blue Star families. I figure maybe fifty or sixty stones will be placed.

Grunt

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »
Here's a bronze outdoor interpretative sign for the Cairn that I got the VA to spring for. There must be a couple of hundred rocks that have been placed to honor vets. 

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 01:18:12 pm »
First time I saw this, that is really cool
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"