Author Topic: Bamboo/Cane knocks  (Read 3574 times)

Offline agd68

Bamboo/Cane knocks
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:34:01 am »
I have heard two schools of thought on boo/cane self knocks. One says you have to plug the shaft at the knock end so it wont split, others say wrap the shaft tightly and you don't need a plug. I'm shooting a 68# rd longbow. Which method do you preferr/suggest?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bamboo/Cane knocks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:03:34 am »
either way,I have done them both ways,the plug is probably a little stronger,I don't shoot that much weight so I haven't worried about it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:07:15 am »
Either/or.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:42:09 am »
Hi,
If you cut your nock just above one of the cane/bamboo nodes you will not have to worry about gluing in a bit of wood. I still wrap them but that is more for look.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:52:20 am »
Just my thoughts and in no way am I saying I'm right. But I feel comfortable with it.

I stay away from the nodes on both ends best I can. Reason being, often there is a bend, flatspot, or offset on many that I have used.
Feeling that having a groove for the string in-line with the main shaft could be a issue at times in the above case. I also match a flat top / bottom of groove to try and maintain nocking point location with the shaft's center. The variations in diameter (plus bends, off-sets, etc.) can effectively move the nock center according to diameter if I don't.
Since these arrows become so time consuming I figure wraping is cheap insurance and so I wrap.
As mentioned, I couldbe wasting my time,, but feel comfortable going this way. There is a lot of variations with Boo from shaft to shaft. Getting as much as possible in my favor seems like the way to go.
Here is one of shafts in progress that shows what I try to achive:

Far from perfect,, but I'm working on it.   :-[
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:12:27 pm by riarcher »
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:53:17 pm »
Thanks for thei nfo guys. Riarcher I like to stay away from nodes near the ens as well.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:12:42 pm »
Ok no worries just putting the info out there for you to look at. I wish you all the best whatever way you do it. Remember to show photos of your work.
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:07:27 pm »
i dont like nodes on nock end, but i like nodes on pointy end!  
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline arrowfan

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:37:01 am »
I have made it like this, with a horn inlay.

Rolf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 12:15:35 pm »
I shoot mostly cane or sourwood shoot arrows and wrap the nock on them whether I need to or not. I try to cut my shafting so the arrows are of similar diameter and I usually disregard the nodes unless one is in the way along the shaft. I have plugged the center hole in cane and it is quick and easy, but I don't always do it. For me, all of this is part of the arrow making process and I got into the habit long ago. I also wrap the forward end(at least) of the fletching whether I'm shooting off my hand or a rest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:51:07 pm »
Those are dandy arrows guys.
As agd68 says, I also am starting into the world of cane and bamboo arrows. I am teetering on the brink of leaving the space age world behind at least in part.  Great fun....

It's all his fault too! ;)