Author Topic: really off topic, for you gearheads  (Read 6642 times)

Offline recurve shooter

really off topic, for you gearheads
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »
ok, absolutly nothing to do with archery here, but i know that about half of yall are mechanics in some way shape or form, so i figured id ask you for your oppinion. ok my truck is an 89 dodge ram d150. it has a 318, (5.2 L), carburated, i cant find an exact number on the horses but according to google its between 140 and 170 and its in decent shape. i got a tranny problem right now thats priority to get fixed. it works fine in drive, but dont like reverse. idk whats up with that. but anyway after i get that fixed i want to start playing around with the motor some. im thinking start off with a new edelbrock intake manifold and either a four barrel or three duces? im pretty limited with my tools, so i cant really take out the motor to change cams or anything like that, i just got to play around with what i can with bolt on stuff. its not much to start with, especially just working with that little 318, but i got nuthin better to do. do you guys think i can get any performance out of this old thing with enough work?

Yeah i know im an idiot, but hey im seventeen, whadaya expect.  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:18:57 pm by recurve shooter »
lets just shoot it

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: really off topic, for you gearheads
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »
well speaking in great honesty as i have quite a bit of mechanic experience with drag cars as well as 4x4's. Especially with a truck, your not going to get a noticeable amount of power from bolt on's. infact when i vehicle is designed from the factory it is designed to have efficiency and suitable power, when you add a new intake\carb, that may help a bit but probably be about 8-15 hp. tops  notvery uch gain for the cost.   you will most likely dump lots more fuel and have very limited gains. 3 dueces is a poor choice for a truck, they are meant to dump air and fuel all at once. you will overload the engine and destroy any gas mileage.  just remember, a big carb and manifold may provide more air and fuel but if its backed up by stock cam, valves, compression and exhaust you can actually lose power along with mileage.  and when you have an older truck with high miles and it still runs sound, its b\c it has worn and aged together, if you add new performance parts you are often times asking for trouble.....but if your anything like i was at 16 or 17 your gonna do it anyways..cant really blame you, thats how i learned...lol      so for an intake you want a very mild low rise dual plane.   edelbrock performer intake manifold, idle to 5500rpm. i wouldnt go any larger and definitely stay away from single plane intakes.   and get a holley carb no bigger than 600cfm but 500 or 550cfm would be better. mechanical secondaries are easier to work on but will waste fuel in a truck (4150 series)  i would suggest  a standard holley 4160 series with vacuum secondaries. and when you adjust the secondaries to open, read the manual very carefully, most ppl want the secondaries to open fully all at once like a mechanical carb....but they are not meant to...remember its not a race car.      i have the same combo on my 85 bronco with a 302 along with shorty headers. not a powerplant but it does what i need it to. only reason i even put a edelbrock intake and a carb on it was b\c it was cheaper than buying oem parts...lol true story.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 03:59:40 pm »
I agree with most of what T.L. said you may find that a really good tune up will surprise you I have owned a few Dodges with that setup and they can be really hard to get tuned properly.JMHO. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:17:29 pm »
lol well i figured something like that was comeing.  ;D i guess i'll just go with a good tune up, new tires and shocks, and maby go pull a motor off of somethin in a junk yard and set it up in the shop and start rebuilding it. ??? man this is gunna be a longer, more expensive process than i thought, lol.  ;D

thanks guys.
lets just shoot it

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:43:52 pm »
sounds like you got a good idea. keep your good truck for normal use, just tune her up. if you want a offroad truck get another one and rebuild the engine for more torque, that way your daily driver isnt down when you start busting driveshafts and axles.     oooohhhhh yeah, you know it gets more expensive. a great drag car builder told me long time ago, the faster you wanna go the more money you drop, but each horsepower gets more and more expensive until your paying $1000 per 10 horsepower.  and it really does!!.  for example. my old mustang i built.  i had a  .585 lift hydraulic cam but only 9:1 compression and a 1500 stall converter and i wasnt smart enough to realized that just 1 high performance part on a low performance engine will hurt worse than no high per. parts at all.  they all have to work together and be matched to one another  when i finally got the car together the way it needed to be i had a 351 cleveland w/ 11:1 compression, .612 lift solid roller cam, 2.19  1.73 canted valves, 800 cfm demon carb, full length custom large tube headers, 4200 stall converter and about 12K worth of parts in between. but it also ran 11.3 seconds quarter mile all motor and 10.7's on a mild shot of nitrous,   man i do miss that car...but it doesnt do me a lick of good here in Montana...and i choose mountains of mustangs in the grand scheme of things. and your never finished either if i didnt sell it i would still be buying parts.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:06:32 pm »
If you can find an old motorhome in the junk yard with mopar running gear you should be able to pick up rebuildable big block muscle for cheap just make sure you get the tranny too it be beefed up to match.Ron

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:26:09 pm »
If you can find an old motorhome in the junk yard with mopar running gear you should be able to pick up rebuildable big block muscle for cheap just make sure you get the tranny too it be beefed up to match.Ron

now there's an idea. wouldnt it be a real pain to pull a motor home engine though?

twisted limbs, ok i got lost about half way through that.  :P dont know to much, but i know what running an 11.3 quarter mile means  ;D ;D man i bet that thing was sweet.
lets just shoot it

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:46:31 am »
R.S. Not as bad as you think there is a huge cover  inside that gives access to the engine. The grill must be removed which aint easy and the engine tranny comes out through the front of the vehicle.Ron

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 08:54:35 am »
                   Here is a Simple one for you.....Shouldn't Get Lost.......Two Words...............Carrol Shelby........... >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 08:56:17 am »
Mike not everyone is loaded with bucks like you. Some of us ol southern boys gotta go the low buck rout.

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:39 am »
nice gt el d, but its missing a blower and .8 liters!  course i cant say much, my two neons dont add up the displacement, or horsepower! 

my coworker has an 08 shelby gt500.  that thing is a blast!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:56:27 am »
If you wanta go fast for cheap get a motorcycle ! Car's are more expensive to buy and build and still usualy aren't as fast as a stock sport bike..... ;) Just a thought...of course I'm a motorcycle mechanic buy trade.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:21 am »
R.S. i have 3 jeep wagoners that are lookn for a new home one needs a tranny but the other two can be made drivable i drove one a few years ago they are early 80 models the better of the three has a 360 in it. if you want i can post them in trade i need to get them off the place. i am not tyrn to sell them i am sayn i am willing to trade them
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:07:23 am by skyarrow »
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 10:17:06 am »
a jeep with a 360?! nice! man i would love to have that beast to play with.  ;D

as for the motorcycle, yeah i know them things is fast, but a 350 pound dude on a crotch rocket is just askin for trouble lol, plus my people wouldnt let me have it.  :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 01:29:30 pm »
a jeep with a 360?! nice! man i would love to have that beast to play with.  ;D

How about a 1973 Vega Hatchback with 634HP packed under the Hood?? I got one of them sitting on a trailer...under a Carport right now....no Track close to run it on....and it's still 100% Street Legal too... >:D ....Looks like a Mattel Hot Wheels Car I had when I was a Kid...It has 27x11.5x15 Sportsman Tires in the Rear....4 inch x 15 inch skinnies up front.....Dana 60 rear Axel....Turbo 400Tranny built to the you know whats....9 inch 4500 stall Converter....350 Bow Tie Block (Siamese Bore)...bored out 40 over....Forged Crank...Rods...and Pistons....Solid Roller Rocker Cam and Lifters....whole shot has been Balance/Blueprinted.....Line Bored with Torque Plates installed....Gear Drive on the Cam Shaft....Weiand Tunnel Ram with two Dominator 450's...and a 300 shot of NOS...and I ain't got time to go over and even pull the tarps off of Her any more........ :'(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome