Author Topic: noisy fletches  (Read 6378 times)

Offline agd68

noisy fletches
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:52:45 pm »
I made some arrows with Woodland Indian style fletches. 3 long low turkey fletches about 5 1/2" l x 1/2 - 3/4" h . These things sound like flu-flus in flight. What could be making them so noisy. They also have a R helical setting.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline aznboi3644

Re: noisy fletches
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:54:00 pm »
a lot of aerodynamic drag...can you post up a picture?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:55:12 pm »
 Probally the helical spinning very fast.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:29:44 pm »
tie in some smaller/downy type feathers to the front of the fletching.  they will help to break up the flow of air and quiet them down.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:58:42 pm »
HEy Agd,

I have a question.....did you glue your fletching down?  IF not, the entire feather will flutter and vibrate in flight, resuting in a lot of noise.  Gluing the vane of the feather makes everything more rigid in flight, and it helps keep excess noise to a minimum. 

Also, turkey tail feathers seem to be much more quiet in flight when compared to the wing feathers.  The wing feathers are much thicker and sturdier, but they also have a rougher surface texture which tends to create more turbulence that creates noise.  The tail feathers are softer, which helps eliminate noise. As Mechslasher said, some downy feathers tied to the front of the fletches will helps dissipate noise, but don't make them too big or they'll slow your arrow unnecessarily.

IF you have a really radical helix on your fletchings, that can also increase noise.  I give my feathers a decent twist, but I don't overdo it. And I ALWAYS glue the fealthers down on my hunting arrows. 

If your arrows are well matched to your bow, you can get away with surprisingly low-cut feathers and still get perfect flight.  For years I had a cane arrow that was fletched with turkey tail feathers that were only 1/2 an inch high.  That arrow flew perfectly everytime I shot it, and I took that arrow hunting with me all over the country, from Iowa to New Mexico to Oregon to Georgia.  I killed 2 rabbits with it, missed a deer and then shot it right thru a deer 2 years ago.  It was so quiet in flight that the animals never heard it coming.  Unfortunately the last deer I shot with it kicked up like a mule and broke the fletch end off inside of her.  I still have the forward 2/3 of the arrow, but the rest is in that deer's decaying body since I never found her.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:08:10 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:36:19 am »
Thanks guys. I think the problem is excessive helical. I glued en up in the jig but didn't let the glue set enough before I wrapped the fletches. I think I may have put more twist in em as I wrapped. I'll give the fluffy feather wind break a go. Got some pheasant breast feathers that should work great.
Happiness is..

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:36 am »
Thanks guys. I think the problem is excessive helical. I glued en up in the jig but didn't let the glue set enough before I wrapped the fletches. I think I may have put more twist in em as I wrapped. I'll give the fluffy feather wind break a go. Got some pheasant breast feathers that should work great.

HEy, Where'd you get Pheasant feathers?  Where's mine?????

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:31:23 pm »
I found a pheasant who did'nt have a use for em anymore, #4 shot tends to do that
Happiness is..

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:14:17 pm »
I found a pheasant who did'nt have a use for em anymore, #4 shot tends to do that

;D ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 12:38:30 am »
I have found fletching with a pointed trailing end seem to make more noise. Cut the point off will quite them down quite a bit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 12:43:48 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D
lets just shoot it