Author Topic: Eating Posion Ivy  (Read 11785 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Eating Posion Ivy
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:27 pm »

Man, Eddie can you just picture him and his dog scootin across the carpet together....... ;D  Yeah, back in the sixties, idiots would chew those leaves, dumb cane etc. to get a little buzz, and have their throats close!  Yeah, Eddie, same here, I used to eat Mangos, by the bushel full.  Used to have big tree growing wild in the woods, and man were they good, and there were a bunch of them at the junior high school, sometimes, we would eat them raw, and watch the other kids break out in sores on their mouths.  Come to find out, Mangoes, are in the Poison Ivy family.....  Could be why we are not allergic to it.  I bivouacked in a patch during AIT in the army at Ft. Gordon, Ga.  The guy sharing the shelter had to go to the hospital.  A bunch of them got it.  Never knew I was not allergic to it.  You can use the juice from stinging nettle to stop the stinging from the same plant.  It neutralizes the pain, and discomfort.  Just put the juice on the affected area.
Now if we can just find something to neutralize the bite of red bugs (chiggers) !!! ;D
                                                                                              Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:04 am »
And Pappy's Seed Ticks....the two I got last Year ....still flare up and Itch a year later
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 05:24:28 am »
El D- it took me six months to get to concentrated syrum and it was only .5cc
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:26:50 am »
in one of the lucky suckers that it dont bother.  ;D ;D me and a friend, and a few non-friends had a little "arguement" in the edge of the woods a few years ago. the next day later his legs and arms looked worse than his face from rolling around in the stuff. didnt bother me.  ;D :D
lets just shoot it

Fried Pie

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »
Follow-up…

Mullet seems confused.  Keep uneaten poison ivy away from the butt.  My experience supports the notion that digested poison ivy is harmless to sensitive unmentionable places.

I consider the mango comments interesting.  I was not aware it is related to poison ivy.  Years ago in the navy, me and three other fools ate a whole grocery size bag of ripe Porto Rican mangos at one sitting.  As a result we all had  diarrhea and a loathsome skin rash.  We did not have a doctor aboard ship, but we were told by those knowledgeable with shipboard illness that we had a rash from vitamin “A” poisoning and diarrhea from eating the inedible mango skin.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 01:32:15 pm »
Never had a reaction to poison ivy.  Still wouldn't eat it though.  Found out I was sensitive to gluten (and probably other stuff) ...so now I watch what I eat very carefully.  And "sensitive unmentionable places" are no joke (ouch).  What's that expression?  "That really chaps my a$$".   :D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:50 pm »
 Mango and Cashew are in the poison oak, poison ivy family. When we were little you tended to start peeling a mango with your teeth while you were sitting up in the cool tree in the summer. The sap in the skin will make your mouth break out into a rash. If you look where the stem attaches to the fruit you can usually see a little clear sap, that's what will do it. And the Run's came from all that fibre in the fruit. And you really ate the skin? ??? ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 02:21:37 pm »
I think I am in the same league as Halfrack. I can look at a picture of P.IVY and break out. I'll leave the leaf munching to someone else.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 02:44:28 pm »

Hey Eddie, if Ol Fried Pie will eat mango skin, lets give him a piece of sugar cane, see what he does with that !! ;D ;D
We can take turns doing the Heimlich maneuver on him!! ;D

Wayne

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 02:58:33 pm »
I wouldn't eat a leave of it for $500

Do I hear $501?  Anyone?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 03:17:01 pm »
I can pretty much waller around in poison ivy and rub it all over me and it doesn't bother me, but I still wouldn't eat a leaf of it, even for $502.37 :) Wayne, what's up with sugar cane? I used to chew on it all the time when grandpa was making molasses.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:00:52 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 04:54:32 pm »
 I think Wayne was figuring if he'd eat mangos without peelin' it, it would be fun to watch him eat sugar cane without peeling it, to. ;D

Or maybe he thought he'd chew and swallow it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 07:56:02 pm »
I'll stick to pasties eh, thank you very much ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 12:05:16 am »

Eddie, I was thinking he would try to swallow the sugar cane, after he chewed on it a while.  I peeled with my teeth, so I don't think he would try to eat the peel, or skin on sugar cane, but I would like to watch and see if he tried to swallow the inner fibrous material.  Definitely get his fiber for the week there. ;)
P.S. 
Why aren't you in bed?  I thought you were leaving in the morning?
                                                                              Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 12:08:25 am »
 I've got a Safety Class to teach and Corporate Meeting in Orlando tomorrow before I can leave.
Lakeland, Florida