Author Topic: Jute backing  (Read 2673 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Jute backing
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:49 pm »
I was looking for some hemp and some other goods at wally world last night when I found some jute ribbon...about 4" wide and it's pretty heavy.  I was going to cut it down the middle and use it for backing...it's also got a spiffy pattern so I was going to use it t wrap a handle.  I've seen people use he,p for backing and I've seen burlap bags cut up for backing but I haven't seen jute ribbon used so I was curious.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline snedeker

Re: Jute backing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:25:47 pm »
Burlap is also made of jute.  The jute stripping will work and I used it once early on, but moved on to thinner, lighter materials like silk

Dave

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:32:04 pm »
I can't ever find silk when I'm looking lol
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Innocente

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:03:20 pm »
i'd be interested in seeing something backed with that mak.
back yer next project with it and then post it for us to see!

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »
Tis' my intent.  I'm working on a third horsebow and a longbow.  I was going to glass up the horsebow but neither my red oak limbs nor my brazilian cherry handle came out with nice grain so I'm not worried about overall appearance.  It'll likely get the jute....havent decided about the longbow, yet.

I can say, thought, that I believe the rest of my bows will be three-piece bows after this horsebow.  I suck at v-splices, but holy cow was it so much easier to get a nice profile on the handle.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:32:42 pm by makenzie71 »