Author Topic: mulberry shorty for little brother  (Read 3430 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

mulberry shorty for little brother
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »
Hey! I finished this one last week, its a bow for my little brother. he wanted a primitive look so here is what i made for him. The stave had some knots and a crack from when I split the stave but I put some rawhide on the knots and wrapped the crack in art sinew. I induced some reflex on the limbs and in the center, but it kinda disappeared after tillering. the finish is walnut stain to make it look old, sanded in other places and then varnished to seal it, bout 4 coats. Handle is brown leather. The tiller was a little of on the bottom limb, maybe because I didnt use a tillering stick. Any advice on how to get both limbs evenly? i always seem to get one right on and the other one a little of, have no idea why. the bow is about 46 long, 40# @ 23. Made some arrows for it, my lil bro was like a kid in a candy store. I got to shoot it and loved it, very fast.

CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline 0209

Re: mulberry shorty for little brother
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:42:13 pm »
Dang.  That thing looks awesome, and the finish is freakin amazing.  One of the cooler bows I've ever seen on here. 
That full draw shot is cool as hell.  Definitely some bend goin thru that sucker.  Congrats and I'm sure your little bro is happy.  Have a good one
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:36:14 pm »
Little bit of a hinge but I wouldn't worry about it.  As long as it shoots consistently I'd leave it as-is...gives it character.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

half eye

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:38:05 pm »
I'll bet he's grinnin  :D Very nice...dont know about the brace profile but that full draw is way good....very nice of you to do.
Rich

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »
Nice bow, your brother should be proud. Great job on utilizing all the bend in that stick. What kind of wood is it?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:31:08 pm »
"Mulberry Shorty", I'll bet its mulberry?  ;)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:43 pm »
That's pretty slick looking. You sure got the look you were aiming for. well done.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 10:54:40 pm »
Thanks for your comments. And yea its mulberry :) if you havent tried this wood, try it, its a great wood but has to be dry like osage. I have couple more of these staves, some longer and some bout the same, I will try to make native american bows of different styles, and some perhaps with the same primitive look.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Barrage

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 01:11:15 am »
Nice shorty!
Travis

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 07:23:23 am »
Very nice.  I really like the look of the bow, I bet your brother is quite happy.  I would just leave it alone if it is shooting good. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:19 pm »
Nice weapon. Lucky little brother. Bookmarked, too, for May Self BOM
When you're retired, every day is Saturday