Author Topic: A few yesterday  (Read 1950 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
A few yesterday
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »
Well I know they aint greeat, but trying to learn ;) ;) Was actually able to thin these. the bottom one is a small knife blade that still needs a handle. They are all the size of a quarter. Feedback very welcome. Good or bad of course :)

I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Timo

Re: A few yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:09:09 pm »
You are getting there,nice early work, you have the concept. A little word of advice though....It would be a good idea to save that knife river rock until you get better,(unless you have an unlimited supply) and if you do then I would be willing to take some off your hands? ;)

It's getting hard to come by these days. ;D

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:14:17 pm »
You are getting better.  When you pressure flake your edge, you need to push straighter into the rock to longer flakes.  This will get you a sharper edge.  Bill

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:36:52 am »
thanks guys. I think it hit me late yesterday on thinning. I didn't understand the ...setting up the platforms... Then it hit me like a brick :o I would find a ridge to set the platform on , use the stone to flaten it and then strike, what seem to be the opposite of what you would normally do...Like Bill said.. Took a piece that looked like it had a santa belly sticking out about 1/2 in.Its reduced to about a flat 1/8 in. now and starting to look like a point. Soon as I get it fin I'll post it .  thanks again for the help

Mark

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:48:07 am »
nice work dude. those inspirational moments when things just click will keep coming. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:43:09 pm »
It' really great when all of a sudden, things go "click" and you can solve a problem that has been driving you nuts.  Bill

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:08:27 pm »
Ere's what happend when it "clicked"  Feels good.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 09:11:45 pm »
Yep, look's like it clicked pretty darn hard. Real sweet point. Like Tim said, if you have a boatload of that I'd be glad to help lighten your load. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38:18 pm »
When you come to the Howard Hill in June, I'll show you how to mount that sucker in a piece of cane.  You will be able to hunt with a bow you made, an arrow you made with a point you knapped.  I have got beuax cou feathers, so don't worry about that.  Bill

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:31:50 pm »
Thanks Bill. Looking so forward to being there.I hope to be there late Friday or very early Sat. Hoping I can find a place for the tent :o :)